BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been sub 15°F here for the past week or two, the last couple days it's been around -9°F. So, the car has been cold, but never misses a beat.

Anyway, after blowing my 12" of snow off the driveway I get in the car to back out the driveway and because I'm kinda dumb, I let the front pass wheel fall off the curb which caused my frozen front fascia to hit the top of the curb at a high rate of speed. The plastic carnage was quite impressive and if it were not for the pain in my gut and fighting the urge to cry I may have laughed.

Now, I have a big hole under my foglight with a crack wrapping the light. I haven't looked to see if there are any parts broken under the fascia itself. The foglight appears to be cracked as well.

Does anyone have any recomendations or advice on repair. The car has 103K miles on it and a rock dent/chip on one fender so I was planning on having the whole nose stripped and repainted. I was going to get a new front fascia from BMW as the odds of finding a good one from an auto recycler are low. I was also going to get new fogs and any other part that is broken.

So beyond that, are there any other recomendations.

Thanks.

Oh, I'll get pics up in the next couple days.

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
A little OT but I feel you. I live in Milwaukee and I cracked the rear bumper/exhaust cover piece from a chunk of ice I didnt see when backing up. I could of cried after seeing two minor cracks!

Shawn

P.S. Got to meet up sometime.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here is the Damage

This is the first time I realized how low the car is. The Jack you see in the 4th pic down wouldn't even fit under the rubber block in the front. I had to jack the rear corner, then put some blocks under the front then lower the back down again just to get the nose up a bit.

First I took some pics as is, then I jacked it up a couple inches, cleaned the corner and then finally taped it:

I've never taped a car before and of coarse the first time is my M5. Pretty ghetto looking if you ask me, but at least it will protect the innards almost as much as the fascia is supposed to.

Oh, and yes the car is really that dirty, it's been hard to wash it with temps as described above.

m5_2nv - Yes we should meet up as an extreme WI minority on these boards, it is our duty.

Bob

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nothing is going to come out of that area. Being that you will more than likely replace instead of repair the front bumper, I personally wouldn't have duct taped it with gray. Maybe change over to black tape so it doesn't bring the eye to the problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Man, that hurts to look at. Looks like you did a decent tape job, though (as decent as duct tape can look on an M5).

GL with repairs.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I didn't have any black duct tape to do it and I didn't want to risk the bottom piece getting hit on something then my tire ripping out the wheel well.

I'll just have a ghetto bimmer for now. Makes it more of a sleeper:hihi:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
$1500 or so at the end of the day.

New bumper skin, prep, paint (color coat with flex additive and clearcoat) new fog light, under bumper panel. Does your outside air temp work? If it is -40, then add $100 for a new sensor.

Happens....

A

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ouch, that's pretty painful to look at, even with the duct tape wrap. Sorry to hear about it. Move to a warmer place!

·
Registered
553 Posts
careful not to loose your temp sensor. Its underneath that wheel liner piece that is hanging down. Driving like that your front wheel may pull the wheel liner (along with the sensor) under the wheel ar highway speed. You'll be wondering "what was that" as you see little black peices of plastic bouncing around in the rearview. Ask me how I know?

·
Registered
129 Posts
ouch

looks kind of like mine after I hit a bus tire which had popped and flung into the highway. several other cars were severely damaged. cosy my insurance 5500 to get fixed. I was reimbursed by metro for my deductable so no cost out of pocket thankfully.

more photos here:
http://web.mac.com/marckula/iWeb/Site/M5%20Photos.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
^^^ How did that cost your insurance $5,500? Someone made out on that deal....

·
Registered
323 Posts
My insurance will paid out to me and thn was reimbursed by the other insurance company. I didn't have to wait to have my repairs done. This was on my son's MR2. The case is finally going to court in a couple of months after three years. You would think after she hit a stationary vehicle it would be her fault, but people are so sue happy around here.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I see others have done the same thing. I don't feel so bad.

I pulled the grey tape off a couple days after I posted this and put black on. Still looks horrible, but not so eye catching.

Unfortunately my tire rubbed a hole into the back of the liner (piece that drops down under the bumper) so I will have to fix that too. The tame is holding it in place now.

My temp sensor is still working too, so that is a savings as well.

My body shop is packed right now, so I'll just leave it for the rest of winter, then have it fixed. I have a ding in the fender that needs to be done too, so the whole nose will be stripped and resprayed.

Fun.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts