BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got back from my dealer to check out the new M3's. They have a white coupe and a black sedan. The coupe looked great, but the black sedan had an awful case of orange peel. I think the sales manager should not have accepted this car, I commented the the SA that if I had ordered the car and come to the dealer to pick it up full of excitement and anticipation, I would be very disappointed to have to reject it on the spot. They are going to have a hard time selling this $70k+ car to a picky M buyer in my opinion.

These are lovely cars and it is unfortunate that this one is saddled with a poor paint job. Hopefully the factory will get it figured out by the time I'm ready to replace my M5 :cheers:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have now seen 3 Interlagos Blue Coupes in person and numerous photos on this board and other that all have the orange peel.........is it at all possible that this is some new Bangle paint feature?.......did not see it on the Jerez Black sedan I drove...........Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:dunno:Interesting Joe, the sedan I saw with the bad orange peel was Jerez Black. The Coupe was white and looked fine. As I was leaving, I noticed several SA's gathering around and discussing the issue, I believe this might be a problem with many of the new M3's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not being technically paint savvy............is there a possibilty they did a "rush job" with this batch of M3s due to losing 370 cars in January when the Courage tipped in New Jersey and smashed all those Dealer demonstrators?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My local dealer in SW London, UK has a black cancelled order M3 with awful orange peel. If I had just spent the $116,000 on this particular car, I would have been well unhappy.

So it seems that the problem is not just limited to the US bound cars.

BTW Orange peel is what it says. Instead of the paint being smooth and polished, it looks all dimpled like the skin of an orange.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My M3 coupe has this as well. The Melbourne Red coupe demo and the Space Grey sedan demo had this as well. My M6 also has this paint feature. It is something all BMW's that I have seen have in common. I am considering a custom paint job on my M6 and the shop said when I got my car back it would look better than new because of BMW's orange peel paint. My AW M5 had it as well, but on the white it is not nearly as noticeable. So, I suspect the AW coupe the OP saw had the same, just very hard to discern unless you are in the right light on the AW.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My M3 coupe has this as well. The Melbourne Red coupe demo and the Space Grey sedan demo had this as well. My M6 also has this paint feature. It is something all BMW's that I have seen have in common. I am considering a custom paint job on my M6 and the shop said when I got my car back it would look better than new because of BMW's orange peel paint. My AW M5 had it as well, but on the white it is not nearly as noticeable. So, I suspect the AW coupe the OP saw had the same, just very hard to discern unless you are in the right light on the AW.
Agreed, however some are definitely worse than others. I can tell you there were several other cars in the showroom in dark colors with the black M3 sedan and they were noticeably better.

Have you considered a color sand and a buff for your M6? Probably cost less and you will still have the factory paint.
:cheers:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am going to check into that. Thanks for the tip. Is it a pretty noticeable improvement? I guess that depends on the severity of the peel.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Went to my dealer's wine and cheese party last night to
"introduce" the M3, 135 and 128, and X6 and took a close look. They all have excessive orange peel in all colors......

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Hi all,

Just got back from my dealer to check out the new M3's. They have a white coupe and a black sedan. The coupe looked great, but the black sedan had an awful case of orange peel. I think the sales manager should not have accepted this car, I commented the the SA that if I had ordered the car and come to the dealer to pick it up full of excitement and anticipation, I would be very disappointed to have to reject it on the spot. They are going to have a hard time selling this $70k+ car to a picky M buyer in my opinion.

These are lovely cars and it is unfortunate that this one is saddled with a poor paint job. Hopefully the factory will get it figured out by the time I'm ready to replace my M5 :cheers:
lol any chance theyre flipping these bad boys after repairs???

http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?p=457089#post457089

1 - 13 of 13 Posts