BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a couple days at Putnam and the weather sucked! The high on Saturday was around 42, and on Sunday we didn't get much above 40.

Had a great time though, and the beast really accounted well for itself. Rained every session and WINDY! Two spinouts right in front of me - one while we were doing the track touring session with a 50 mph speed limit! The kid in front of me was only doing about 35 mph coming out of the off-camber turn on 8 and spun the car a full 180 degrees and put a couple wheels off the track! It was about 40 degrees and raining, then it started hailing! Not too bad but obviously slick as hell. Good training for running in the rain, but pretty tiring. You really have to concentrate on what's going on every turn every second since the conditions are always changing. I look forward to some hot dry days this summer.

Of course with my tranny problem resolved, I had to have another issue. I've been getting a 'gas cap not tightened' error for several weeks now every time I fill up and the dealer said they couldn't see an error code. Sunday I start the car up and get an 'increased emissions' error. *&%#.grrrrrrr

I'm thinking it may be because of the gas cap, but I'm also concerned about the VANOS pump as has been documented on this board. Now when I get an error, I use my cellphone to take a picture of the dash so I can show it to the service guys.

Anyone else have this same error message sequence??

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Haven't had that error sequence, but after filling up with some 76 gasoline instead of my usual Chevron, about halfway through my first day or two on the track a week ago I got the Increased Emissions error. Haven't got it once since I went to Chevron exclusively until now. I thought it was the intakes but that isn't it...it goes away after one or two tanks and doesn't come back. I think with the reports of VANOS errors and a couple others, I'm going to try and stop by the dealer to read the code and see what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Never had that but had increased emissions, it wound up being an 02 sensor.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case it was a vanos oil pressure feed line.

Mike
Had that replaced two years ago - hope it's not going again. I spoke to one of the BMW people who attended the event, and they said they've had a similar problem because of the gas cap. Something having to do with reduced fuel pressure...??

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Mine were the fuel pumps, not the vanos pumps. Different, I believe??? Started with increased emissions, but progressed to rather dramatic episodes of stalling after starting the car.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Of course with my tranny problem resolved, I had to have another issue. I've been getting a 'gas cap not tightened' error for several weeks now every time I fill up and the dealer said they couldn't see an error code.
I know that I've had this issue before, but can't remember which car it was on for the life of me. It def wasn't the M5, but I'm pretty sure it was one of my previous bimmers (maybe the 740 or 745). Anyways, IIRC, the fix was simply a new gas cap. If I had to guess, you're probably right; the increased emissions error is likely a result of the gas cap error. It's possible that it's just the gas that's in the car currently. See if the error remains after your next tank and maybe try a different station.

Sorry to hear that your track weekend had such crummy weather...sounds like a bust of a weekend. I was supposed to head up to Road America in wisconsin this last weekend but backed out because they had predicted snow all weekend :eek: That could have been interesting with the z rated NT-01s.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had Increased emissions that went on and off for 3 weeks. Turned out to be O2 sensor. Dealer replaced it and never had the emissions error again. About 6 months now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts