BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may remember, my last trip to the track was a quest for 11's. I was fortunate enough to squeak out an 11.95 with drag radials on the stock clutch. Yesterday I was back for the record, which is held by Kelster's S3 at 11.79. I won't lie, I wanted it. Even if it's just for a short time until someone with some serious power makes it to the strip.

I have since upgraded to the Brecus stage 4 Feramic disc and really put it through the paces yesterday. It performed flawlessly and took everthing I threw at it in a dozen or so passes. Thanks, AAron! Only other changes since the last trip to the track was a fog light delete to get more air to filter that is located in front of the right side wheel. Oh, and also the addition of the DSSR to the UUC shift that I thought was stock. :confused:

Air temps yesterday ranged from low 40's to low 50's with a favorable DA. Unfortunately yours truly was not as favorable and I botched many passes which I will blame on the nasty head cold, total lack of sleep the night before and just overall feeling like butt. I missed many a shift including one on my best 60' foot of the day. :( You can clearly hear Matt's disappoinment while shoot the vid of this pass. Classic! And although the new clutch bites hard, take up is more abrupt and takes a little getting used to. At the end of the day I was finally getting the hang of it but my car had enough and we called it a day. A bit of a cross/head wind probably kept my trap speeds down a bit.

In regards to lauching, there is a fine line between getting away clean and being overly aggresive and triggering massive wheel hop. Spinning was not an issue with the DR's lowered to 18 psi and the awesome track prep at MIR. A huge thanks to Ray for the loan of the DR's on those sexy Dinan wheels.

Enough with the excuses and onto the good stuff. Keep in mind, my Beast is stock performance-wise with the exception of the ESS kit.

Some vBox numbers-

0-60 3.6
0-100 8.6

IMO, Not bad for a nearly two ton grocery getter!

Vids and pic courtesy of Matt/SnizM3. Thanks for the footage and encouragement!

My quickest pass.....
Clem 11.84 3-25-11 MIR on Vimeo

Second best....
11.93 on Vimeo

Best launch with blown 1-2 shift (one of many this day....way off my game) Note Matt's response. :crying2:
1.70 60 ft time on Vimeo

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Looks like fun Adam! New PR for you still!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sweet !! How much boost are you seeing ?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
You just keep getting better Adam !!

Well done man !

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sweet !! How much boost are you seeing ?
Thanks! It's hard to say really. Some runs showed over 9 psi, but I think that spike occurred during my burnout. I think I'm seeing around 8 on the track.

You just keep getting better Adam !!

Well done man !
I appreciate that, Kumuran. You know first hand that it's not as easy as it looks. Stickies do make it more fun, but create a whole new set of challenges. Frankly, my sketchy driving was the main issue yesterday. Head cold + no sleep = diminished motor skills. :confused3

I have to throw this vid in of this insanely fast Viper. I've seen him run many times and still can't comprehend. He let off way early AND got on the brakes and still ran 7.77! The vid doesn't do it justice.
http://vimeo.com/21505037

·
Registered
63 Posts
Way to go Adam , temps were favorable yesterday but , yes that wind was an obstacle , Matt did a good job with camera . 2 thumbs up !

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
congrats!!! your gettin closer and closer to that record!!! The car looks and sounds great going down the track!!!!

again nice job!!!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Thanks! It's hard to say really. Some runs showed over 9 psi, but I think that spike occurred during my burnout. I think I'm seeing around 8 on the track.

I appreciate that, Kumuran. You know first hand that it's not as easy as it looks. Stickies do make it more fun, but create a whole new set of challenges. Frankly, my sketchy driving was the main issue yesterday. Head cold + no sleep = diminished motor skills. :confused3

I have to throw this vid in of this insanely fast Viper. I've seen him run many times and still can't comprehend. He let off way early AND got on the brakes and still ran 7.77! The vid doesn't do it justice.
Viper 7.77 letting off and braking! on Vimeo
Holy S%$%#%$T!!!!!, that Viper is fast!!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Very nice :)

What were your 60' times?

A 118 trap speed is solid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Holy S%$%#%$T!!!!!, that Viper is fast!!
yes it is!!!! I honestly believe its a high 6 second car though the owner claims its a low 7 second car. Regardless, insanely fast. Literally its a street driven 2000hp+ MONSTER that can compete with alcohol fueled drag only cars. Its so smooth and drama free that its just nuts to watch.

The really impressive other car there was

A) the blue/white viper which looks totally stock, but is built by Underground Racing, put down 1080whp on PUMP GAS and was trapping over 150mph only in boost from 3rd gear on with a stock clutch and drivetrain. The half shaft bit the dust the 1st run he actually launched.

B) Bone stock Zr1 that turned a 10.5x at 134mph on drag radials. BONE STOCK. unreal. Maybe 3 or 4 mods away from a daily driven comfortable 9 second monster that could embarrass almost anything on a real track as well!

his 60ft on the quickest run was a 1.73. He had a 1.70 that he posted the video for, it would have been the record most likely but wasnt in the cards :sad2:

Adam did not spin the tires once as far as I could tell and I had a great vantage point. Only tells me there is a 1.6x at least in the car as it sits today, which would all but drop .1 or so off his current time. I totally understand Adams standpoint though, he just doesnt want to break the car. One day I honestly see him saying F it and launching that thing at 5,000rpms to see if the tires will bite. That will either be a new world record, or a call to AAA for a flatbed. Only one way to tell :)

A few other shots from the day and more videos

this car had the most violent launches......and the driver was a mad man, would NOT get out of it. Sliding sideways off the start and still hitting a 1.07 60 ft on one run

8.24 on Vimeo

11.52 gt500 on Vimeo

2 serious runs back to back

Moving!!!! 2 runs on Vimeo

a tune only sl65 going for the 10's with only a tune........

tune only sl65 11.01 on Vimeo

and the most badass car there, doesnt look THAT mean but damn, what a car. Sal built himself a beast. Id love to see a full run out of this car one day!!! I could sit and watch him run all day

Viper 7.77 letting off and braking! on Vimeo

Beautiful Zr1 that set the world record bone stock before I even arrived with a 10.5x w only drag radials!!!! Over 134mph trap, unreal. Way to go GM.

More shots

Blue Viper....get this, 1080whp on pump gas!!!!! he was babying it so bad but still trapping over 150mph. He finally launched it and blew his half shafts right off the car, might have moved 2 feet in total that run, unfortunately, no camera gear in hand :(

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, despite you not achieving what you set out to, you now know how strong the clutch is and you know you can definitely improve on things which is a great feeling and fantastic motivation to get out there again! Thanks for sharing and you still got some awesome times Adam!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Best 60' was 1.70. I was really hoping for 1.6's. Launching on boost with the 3.45 diff is complicated for me. I also thought my traps would have been above 120 but the 10-15 mph headwind prevented that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Your launching looks spot on,the car gets off the line very well, well done.

You said your car was stock except ESS kit but in your sig it says Dinan diff, is this a different ratio to a standard M5 diff to give better acceleration ?

Simon.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your launching looks spot on,the car gets off the line very well, well done.

You said your car was stock except ESS kit but in your sig it says Dinan diff, is this a different ratio to a standard M5 diff to give better acceleration ?

Simon.
I do have the Dinan 3.45 diff but that can't be considered a power enhancement. In reality, it's probably making the launch more difficult for me. It's quite the handful out of the hole and with the grabbier clutch, getting away cleanly proved challenging yesterday. I will be back!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well done, Clemster, some good looking runs.

Many thanks for the great pics and vids. Keep working at it, looking forward to the next time!

And boy, does that Vipers 7.77 look like CGI or something? It just GOES!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts