BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Everyone, just wondering if this was ever resolved. I've read through probably all of the VANOS related thread and cannot seem to find a resolution for my car. I'm getting similar symptoms for code 72. Swaped boards, resoldered all joints, replaced diodes, replace solenoid rings, beisan rings, cleaned all ports on the VANOS unit itself, and installed new CPS (all 4). I'm still reading error 72. One thing I still have not done is swap the VANOS units. Just wondering if there is anything else I should check. Thanks. This is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
They have all been resolved but most are different. You no results or any change from doing the things you have done? It is a bad ground then. In the electric conduit right over the fuel rails is where the grounds for the vanos solenoids join, check that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, Sailor. I just read that from another post last night. I will check that when I fine the time and report back. That sounds like it could be the issue. Yes, no results from everything I've done so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally had time to check the ground leads on Bank 2. Looks like there's some corrosion which I'm currently soaking in vinegar. I check the resistance on all the pins and they seem kind of odd.

Bank 2(key off):
Pin 1 is 3.8koms
Pins 2 and 5 are both reading about .8kohms,
Pin 4 is 8.5kohms and 6 is 8.6
Pin 3 is 216.9kohms??

Bank 1(key off):
Pins 2 and 5 are .5kohms
Pins 1, 3, 4, and 6 are all around 8.5

Would a bad ground cause the high resistance reading for B2/Pin 3? I checked the voltage with key on and B2/Pin 3 shows 70mV and Pin 1 58.1mV. comparing with B1, readings show 1.1mV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traced the high resistance reading from pin 3 all the way to the DME. The high resistance reading isn't from the wiring, I think it is coming from something inside the DME box. Checked resistance from where the Pin 3 wire connects to DME (DME side) tground is the high resistance reading comes from there. Should I open up the DME and take a look or is this a sign I need to replace it? Now I'm worried.

Attachments

101 - 107 of 107 Posts
About this Discussion
106 Replies
10 Participants
dvldo
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing