BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Seem to be in a bit of little things going wrong with the B8 at the moment, first the A/C (real pain due to hot weather, why can't these things break in winter ...). And now the rear tyre is going flat (puncture me thinks, get it repaired, but oh no!) it is leaking from the valve!

Has anyone taken the valve off, and if so what tool did they use, cause can't get anything to fit! And then what washer does it use?

Thanks...

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
To change a tire valve you'll have to have the tire taken off the rim...unless you have an Alpina wheel with the valve in the hub of the wheel, in which case I have no idea.

·
Registered
477 Posts
kees said:
To change a tire valve you'll have to have the tire taken off the rim...unless you have an Alpina wheel with the valve in the hub of the wheel, in which case I have no idea.

I have problems believing that. If I remember correctly, the valve is always removed when a tyre is fitted - so that must be possible without removing the tyre first. I belief they have a special tool to screw out the valve.

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
787 Posts
Changing the valve is a no brainer, it screws out. It takes about 30 seconds to remove and install a new one. BUT that is of course if it is leaking inside the valvestem, ie that rubber thingy. If it is leaking around the base of the stem, ie between the stem and the rim, then the tire has to come off to replace the stem.

A/C systems very often start leaking due to lack of use, very common on collector cars that sit idle for long periods at a time. Very often it is the compressor seals that give because they dry up. The AC system should be used at least once a month to avoid premature failure of the system.

Carl

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, no help then! ...

The B8 has the "new" style wheels were the valve is hidden inside the hub. It is not changed every time, because it doesn't need to.

By the way, for those interested the part number for the valves is 91473610061. I still have the problem of finding the tool to unscrew the thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts