BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a broken fog lamp lens on my B8. Finally I have got a new lens from BMW - it's a standard E36 part.

Could anyone give me guidance on how to remove and replace the lens form the Alpina front spoiler please? :dunno: On the standard BMW spoiler the guidance is to use a screwdriver to press the release pins and then prise the lens out......

Thanks Berni.

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
You have to remove the whole foglamp from the spoiler first.

There's a small arm on the inside top of the foglamp.

You need to flick that arm with a screwdriver and the whole foglamp falls out.
Quite tricky... if you get it wrong the housing of the foglamp is damaged and you need a whole new foglamp.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi Berni

It's a very simple process and I did it with my B8 several month back. (I'd already done it with a previous E36 so I knew what to expect.) You don't need to apply much pressure on the plastic arm for the assembly to 'fall' out. If you have the replacement assembly waiting on the bench, it's very easy to see how it works.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kees and Chas. It does seem a simple process oce you have located that lever. May I ask - can I access the lever from the front & side of the spoiler or from behind it? If so I will need to jack the car up a bit to get under and behind I guess..... Cheers B.

·
Registered
821 Posts
There should be an access hole for a screwdriver at the front, just a few mm from the edge of the glass. There's absolutely no need to get under the car; in fact, if I remember correctly it isn't possible to locate the arm from underneath or behind the foglight unit anyway!

If I was at home I'd go take a few pictures as I also have a spare unit on the shelf in my workshop. If you're still scratching your head this evening, let me know and I'll do just that, or drop me a PM and I'll give you my contact number to talk you through the process.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be an access hole for a screwdriver at the front, just a few mm from the edge of the glass. There's absolutely no need to get under the car; in fact, if I remember correctly it isn't possible to locate the arm from underneath or behind the foglight unit anyway!

If I was at home I'd go take a few pictures as I also have a spare unit on the shelf in my workshop. If you're still scratching your head this evening, let me know and I'll do just that, or drop me a PM and I'll give you my contact number to talk you through the process.
Chas. Many thanks for this. I will have a go on Sturday morning in the daylight. Cheers, Berni.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts