BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just received the bill for my B8's Inspection-II. I'm positively surprised, because I think I payed less than for a E36 M3 Inspection-II.

Here's the Summary:

Inspection-II complete (material and work and Swiss VAT): 550 Euro
including:
-microfilter replacement
-7 ltr of Castrol TWS 10W60
-oilfilter
- 8 spark plugs
-air filter
- new differntial oil (ATF 1.8 ltr)
- some small parts (O-Rings, Seals etc.)

Additional Repairs done:
-Water pump replacement: 230 Euro.-
-Water Pump: 98 Euro
-Starter Motor replacement: 120 Euro
-new starter Motor: 80 Euro (from Ebay :cheers: , a new one from BMW would be 220 Euro).

That was at an official BMW Shop (not an Alpina dealer).

What have you guys paid for B8 maintenance?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
You have made my day :)

When is inspection II, 120k km?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
153 Posts
Normal service is ok, the same price as for the 540/740 but try replacing the clutch, front breaks or shocks or repair the gearbox (BMW in Sweden charges around 4500 eur to send one of these babys back to Getrag for repair or about 8000 for a new one)....I have just done all that and I can tell you that those parts are expensive here in Sweden (fortunatly I bought all the spareparts in Germany for half the price that it would have been in Sweden) but still, I think that I have spent about 4000 eur in parts and work the last year and keep in mind that I´m one of those lucky ones that know a skilled mechanic who doesn´t overcharge

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@AlpinaB8: you're right the expensive parts are:

-brake disks and pads
-clutch (probably 20% more expensive than a E36/E46 M3 clutch, and around 8 hours of work for replacement)

-most of the suspension wear parts are standard E36 or M3 parts.

the transmission itself *should* not fail prematurely, that one is designed for at least 500 Nm (like in the E39 M5).

brake pads: maybe we can order custom brake pads with a "sport" compund from some alternative supplier such as Pagid, Hawk etc. If we are enough people that could be cost effective performance upgrade. Sounds like a group-buy thing mmmmmm

·
Registered
153 Posts
I made a luxury repair on my gearbox, one of 3 sync rings on the third gear was broken. A hardly noticable failiure but since my ambition is to restore my baby to perfect condition this was something that just had to be fixed.

One thing that can be a problem on the B8 is the rear and drive axles, these are standard M3 parts and are not dimensioned for the extra torque. The previous owner of my car had to replace them after around 205000 km. But this was partly his own fault as he was doing repeted starts on a glued F1 race track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts