BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2007 B7 and when I remove the wheel cap to check my tire pressure there is all sorts of rust in the wheel that the "alpina" cap covers.All 4 wheels have the rust.Is that normal?Should I remove the rust or do not bother.Anyone else have it?

Attachments

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Do you really have rust? From where? Can you please provide pictures? I would say Alpina would not accept this and an email with enclosed pcitures to Alpina Germany would solve this quite fast is my guess.

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
The wheel is aluminium so I would assume it's rust from the hub?

Either way - I agree - please post pictures...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds crazy but I have to get my wife to take the picture and download it.......but as soon as you slide that cover to the side and look directly into the wheel is where the rust is.it is not just on 1 wheel but all 4 wheels.Seems stange because where would the rust originate from?I will try to post a picture latter but none of you have any rust inside that little cylinder?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats it exactly.When you slide the cover to the side and look directly into that small cylinder it is rusty like the picture.Shouldn't the rust be removed so it would not spread or it can't get worse over time.However your picture is not of the wheel itself and what I am desribing is rust on the wheel itself.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The hub is untreaded steel and should stay that way if you want a wheel to properly center. What you describe as a "cylinder" is a hole in the wheel that's used to balance it. The rusty bit you see is the cap in hub itself, not the wheel. If you want to prevent it you can clean it off when the wheel is removed, and lightly grease the edge of the hub. Totally unneccesary in my book, but if it floats your boat......

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
"Be a good American - sue somebody" :haha:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gustav, no I have not.When Stevie answered it seemed normal.How or who do I email.Secondly, nobody really responded on whether there B7 had rust or not.So I really have no idea whether something is wrong .I was hoping to get the answer from someone here.Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry, but I am illiterate with computers.It is really pretty basic.Once you slip the cover to the side and look directly in the center of the wheel there is rust in that small cylinder.Not just on 1 wheel but all 4 of the wheels.

·
Registered
669 Posts
"Be a good American - sue somebody" :haha:
or marry Paul MCartney........:eek:oohhh:

yea we are sue happy here that is for sure.....and we get a bad rap for it

WoodRanch the rust is normal there. You can get the hubs sanded and painted with Zinc Paint. I have seen many do this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you GaAlpinaowner.I was not sure that was normal because no one else has said the have rust.So far nobody with a 07 or 08 B7 has said they have what I have with the rust.If you say thats normal I believe you....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thank you GaAlpinaowner.I was not sure that was normal because no one else has said the have rust.So far nobody with a 07 or 08 B7 has said they have what I have with the rust.If you say thats normal I believe you....
well they probably have not removed the wheel/tires yet. The part that has the rust on it is on the rotor and hub. Here is what some do to fix:
This is from a porsche forum so do not shoot me
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=425156

On my B7 - I painted the rotor hat and hub (Center)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts