BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought Hythe's B5 Touring and decided to rebadge it. I finally got round to cleaning it and taking pics before it got dirty again!

Wife now wants to get rid of the stripes, but I quite like them!

Love the car - perfect family tourer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Keep the stripes...!

I've always thought they balance out the design of the car quite nicely - the E61 can look a touch slab-sided without them, particularly around the rear haunches, but the stripes somehow improve it, IMHO.

Can't remember the last time I saw it so clean!

Hope you're enjoying the ultimate family-hauling machine (M5T and new RS6 included)

Still think that car's a criminally well-kept secret - it's almost as if Sytner never wanted to sell any of them...

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Bond..James Bond :D

cool car you got from an equally cool previous owner..Just not sure about them stripes :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like the stripes, as Hythe says it balances the car out.

Very nice looking car by the way, what is the name of the colour ... not sure I would have badged the car though, you know it is an Alpina without!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It's Malachitgruen, or Malachite Green - one of the BMW Individual colours.

Originally I signed up for Alpinagruen (the original) but the factory said nooo, don't want to do that, try Malachitgruen on this car. Maybe that's why Alpinagruen II looks a lot like it (with a touch more blue).

Interior is Extended Individual Perforated Caramel Merino. Theoretically not a possible combination, even in an Individual at that time.

Wout, what are you after? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I know this is a very old post but I bought this car a couple of weeks ago and found this thread when originally researching it. The last owner (c7 years) had a lot of work done to restore her to pretty much as new condition and she is a stunner.

I fell foul of the (unknown to me until I checked on some forums) issue of blocked sunroof drains last week after loads of rain (water in the boot well meaning the air suspension module having a mare and dropping the car low) so currently having the electrics sorted and hopefully back on the road in the coming week but my first few drives were amazing. I plan on using her a lot but she's not my daily so at least I'm not stuck, just pining!

Hythe and HeiHei what did you move onto afterwards? - M5 as on this board, or more Alpina's?

Cheers,

Jules

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I know this is a very old post but I bought this car a couple of weeks ago and found this thread when originally researching it. The last owner (c7 years) had a lot of work done to restore her to pretty much as new condition and she is a stunner.

I fell foul of the (unknown to me until I checked on some forums) issue of blocked sunroof drains last week after loads of rain (water in the boot well meaning the air suspension module having a mare and dropping the car low) so currently having the electrics sorted and hopefully back on the road in the coming week but my first few drives were amazing. I plan on using her a lot but she's not my daily so at least I'm not stuck, just pining!

Hythe and HeiHei what did you move onto afterwards? - M5 as on this board, or more Alpina's?

Cheers,

Jules
Ha - I just chanced by this forum and saw your post. It's so long ago I had to recreate a new logon!!

Amazing to have 3 of the 4 owners of this car on the same thread spanning almost 12 years!! Congrats on the purchase - I have to admit I very nearly bought the car back off Dan myself, knowing how much effort he put into restoring it.
When I bought the B5, I very nearly bought an M5 Touring, but really was desperate to get a B5. With there being just 4, the chances were pretty remote, but I emailed Hythe on the off chance he was thinking of selling, and the rest is history. It was/is an awesome family car.

I sold the B5 to buy the D5 as soon as it came out. Great car, but didn't have the character of your B5. After approx 4 years of that, I switched into an RS6 which is epic, but doesn't have the "in the know" subtlety of Alpinas which I love. As such, I'm now considering moving back to a B5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi HeiHei, and thanks for the reply. That's a lovely list of cars owned, I know RS6's are very quick and I've driven quite a lot of quick stuff (Astons, 911 Turbo - not mine) but there is something about the way the power develops with the supercharger in the B5 that is very intoxicating including the noise and makes me giggle like a kid when I get the chance to give the loud pedal a proper push.

Hope you get back in a B5 and if you are ever going to be in the Reading/Basingstoke area and want to see your old car again give me a shout. I'm planning on keeping her for perpetuity though so not open to any offers! :D

Cheers, Jules

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those that are hankering after a rare (as Jules stead!) my B5 Touring (010) is for sale and listed at The Market.

Link below for reference, interest and your curiosity:

Jules and myself have planned to meet at "The Markets" premises where 010 is located and ensure we get some great pictures of two sibling RHD B5 Tourings snapped and shared as a rare event (before 010 becomes the responsibility a new guardian).

(We have been wondering where the 3rd remaining Uk RHD car is located... hopefully the owner may respond and share details at some point)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts