BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is an article in the bmw magazine between the B5 and the M5. the B5 blew the M5 away and the journalist claims the sound is better, more torque which is available all the time vs. the P500 mode which needs to be activated and therefore is a better car all together. he only claims that the M5 is better in cornering due to its suspension. i am considering buying the M5 but this article has given me one more thing to think about. whats you opinion on why the M5 will be a better buy

Article here:

http://www.alpina-automobile.de/downloads/testberichte/en1120198151M5vsB5_en.pdf

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks to :

1) its ten individual throttle butterflies,
2) low mechanical inertia,
3) normally aspirated configuration,
4) great fluid flow design,
5) absence of torque converter,
6) sport electronic throttle (different transfert function)

-->the M5 engine has NO throttle/power delay.

Some people don't feel the difference...while some others find it priceless!

If the only difference the journalist pointed out is related to the “low rev torque”, well…the article is not worth reading.

Anthony

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I have not driven the B5 and I am not sure if it has a limited slip diff, but the M5 has this in the form of the M variable diff lock and IMHO this would make a huge difference in performance driving/ cornering.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it is loosing against M5 on cornering it sounds like an AMG kind car, lots of torque and fast in a straight line, but the corners....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Well, I wonder if you can get a B5 with a manual? That alone might make it worth the other "shortcomings" compared to the M5. And there is always a coil-over setup that could close that handling gap. Too bad the B5 isn't offered here.

What is the price difference in the two?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I actually seriously considered getting a B5 for quite a while, but you cannot get a new one in Ireland as Alpina have no dealers - so that put paid to that idea ( UK dealer did not want to deal with an export) - so I got a m5 instead. One big plus (for me anyway) was the very positive and pleasant way I was dealt with when I contacted Alpina, I felt I could have had a relationship with the cars makers - Whereas with BMW even with an M5 you're just another punter, one amongst countless others.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Having driven a B5 I can testify it is very quick both in a straight line and round corners. Alpina do all their testing alongside the BMW M5 team and share resources. The cars are not competitors, just different approaches to making a supercar. Alpina focus their testing on road performance to make a devastatingly fast car from a to b under real world driving conditions. The M5 is a track car which you can use everyday. Both make compromises to reach their design goal!

Price difference in the UK is about £3k more for the B5. Autocar are doing a B5 vs M5 comparison next week. Should be interesting.

Edit: No manual on the B5 (they do have tiptronic) and unlikely to ever be - they think it unnecessary for road use given the torque available.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing the B5 is faster, in high speeds... 140+....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Km/h that is, 140...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Doubt you would get a cigarette paper between them! Alpina has 530bhp and 700nm of torque and the latter is it's secret. Sheer grunt in any gear.

I have a E39 B10 and have had many runs with E39 M5's and they are neck and neck. Expect the B5 and new M5 to be the same.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The difference... M5 has a better airflow and way better gearbox.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I don't think the B5 feels 'special' enough. It's a great car and very luxurious compared to the M5 but the BMW still has the edge for me. I'd agree that the B5 is a softer option and more suited to someone a lot older than me.

I imagine the average B5 owner is a lot older than the average M5 owner :rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I imagine the average B5 owner is a lot older than the average M5 owner :rolleyes:
Very possibly - I am 55 - and when it comes down to choosing a car to go out on business my Alpina is always first choice and the 911 remains in the garage. After a 450 mile round trip with a business meeting in the middle I just want something to take me home with minimum effort. Hence I have ordered a B5. For mucking about on local roads the 911 is fun and the E-Type more so, oddly faster than both at 42 years old!

Alpinas are now made on the same production line as other BMW's. The question you need to ask is why does BMW tolerate Alpina?

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Its a totally different car. I wrote this in the Alpina forum:

With 7 gears and SMGIII it is fun to change gears. I rev to the redline manytimes in all the cars I drive, not because I need but because it is fun :) With the M5 its very fun until 8300 rpm :thumbsup:

That is one thing I think I will like the M5 more than the B5: high-revving engine. I liked the M3 3,2 alot but I also liked the B8 4,6 alot. It had somehwta longer throws in the gearbox, but so much more relaxed at highway driving. However it never had that "rev me to the redline" feel that the M3 3,2 had :M5rev:

Also, the M5 have adjustable suspension, the B5 does not have that. But the Alpina is on another note a timeless classic, just loook at the wheels.

Se the Alpina B5 writupe I did at this years Geneva:

http://www.m6board.com/articles.php?id=29&page=2

Heuer said:
Alpinas are now made on the same production line as other BMW's. The question you need to ask is why does BMW tolerate Alpina?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I like the Alpina, but can't stand the little pinstriping all over the place, in my opinion it does not have it's place on such a car!

Another problem is it's not available in North America!

·
Registered
240 Posts
desualt said:
I like the Alpina, but can't stand the little pinstriping all over the place, in my opinion it does not have it's place on such a car!
Pinstripes are an option - usually deleted!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts