BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 4 torx bolts on the vibe dampner one time use? I torqued new ones, but engine was never fired / heat cycled.... I want to take the timing cover off and use a diff. sealant. I have to order them from Germany since we have none in the US, and was hoping they were reuseable.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I would have absolutely no problem re-using these bolts and you could always apply a touch of Loctite if concerned . They are not stretch bolts .

D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, They say to replace them, but they also say to replace main bolts and I always reuse those so....

AZD11-13A.frb 20/10/97
11 - Engine Type Screw Dimensio
n
Unit
11 23 Vibration Damper
2AZ Vibration damper hub on crankshaft
Replace screws
S38 B38 M12x1.5
S50 M12x1.5
torque 60 Nm
torque angle 50 °
torque angle 50 °

ON a side note. What do you guys use for sealant. There is nothing worst then putting an engine together and getting leak after a bit of time. I usually use Hylomar on both surfaces with and without paper gaskets when applicable but I have been noticing small nuggets of it in the oil pan when draining the oil and I'm thinking I'm going to switch to ditching the Hylomar and paper gaskets all together and just use Black Low volatile silicone sealant instead.

Any other suggestions/ tips/ tricks for timing covers and cam tray sealing that won't ever leak/seep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts