BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is message of my friend:

Hi guys, Im proud owner of E34 M5 1989 with S38B36 engine.
(sorry for my english) Once few days ago I drove my M5, engine seems a little lazy than normally but I wasnt solving it anyhow while driving when engine suddelny got "problem". Since that time Im unable to solve it.
My problem is: Idle rpm went from 1000 to 250-500 (poor engine) and while increasing trottle, engine has tend to choke itself or totally tunr off. Doing while cold even why warm engine.
I tried to change fuel pump and fuel filter cause is looks like problem with lack of fuel... Nothing. Now I have in plan to try change HAL sensor and ignition coil... But I would like to ask if I should or someone has already similar problem solved? My ignition coil has resistance between inputs 1,1 ohms and it should have 0,36. But Is so small R meteable?
Thank you for help or advices
Could be AFM ?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sounds like fuel starvation to me. could be earthing/coil/maf/spark plugs/ignition leads etc etc

would try removing fuel filter from the engine side and see if fuel is flowing out freely. If it is then the fuel pump and filter shouldnt be your problem

next up would be checking the earth straps around the engine and make sure they are tight and not broken then try removing an ignitin lead one at a time. if no change when removing lead then that could be the problem if she cuts out when a lead is removed then that lead is fine. All these checks are free of charge then money has to be spent to find the issue. IE DME, new coil, etc

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts