BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much difference or any at all between the alpina b3 3.3 and b3s for outright acceleration / performance.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
430 Posts
The first Alpina I test drove was a B3 3.3 Switchtronic, that was back in 2002. Needless to say, I was downright impressed with the car.

But in order to answer your question, I'd need to compare them back to back. My current car is a B3S with a manual transmission. It's a little rough, a little notchier than the 6-speed box that comes in the stock 6-cylinder BMW models, but that is a lot fun.

The performance figures are quite close to each other on paper. I can't say if 280 vs 305 hp is noticable. And regarding the accelaration, we are talking about a second or a fraction of a second, where the B3S is faster.

Here is a few photos of the car I test drove. Sorry for the poor image quality, they are analog photos and were scanned after.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Deckard said:
The first Alpina I test drove was a B3 3.3 Switchtronic, that was back in 2002. Needless to say, I was downright impressed with the car.

But in order to answer your question, I'd need to compare them back to back. My current car is a B3S with a manual transmission. It's a little rough, a little notchier than the 6-speed box that comes in the stock 6-cylinder BMW models, but that is a lot fun.

The performance figures are quite close to each other on paper. I can't say if 280 vs 305 hp is noticable. And regarding the accelaration, we are talking about a second or a fraction of a second, where the B3S is faster.

Here is a few photos of the car I test drove. Sorry for the poor image quality, they are analog photos and were scanned after.
Deckard, i must say you have a very amazing Alpina. The B3S is one of my all time favorite cars. Do you have any pics? :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply :cheers: , I test drove another alpina yesterday, although this time the car was a 2002, black, b3s coupe with all the extras, Sat Nav, TV etc, i must say the car was very impressive, although the acceleration these cars both b3 3.3 & b3s is smooth yet still amazing. although it does feel like the cars are hesitant to drop a gear or two when you put your foot down. Is this normal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What an amazing car, is there any problems that you've encountered with the car, or is there anything i should be looking out for when i purchase one, so that i don't suffer any financial ruin ouich latter on..
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
430 Posts
jugghead said:
What an amazing car, is there any problems that you've encountered with the car, or is there anything i should be looking out for when i purchase one, so that i don't suffer any financial ruin ouich latter on..
The car has about 22.000 km on the odometer, no problems so far. At the very early days, I have experienced a rough idle issue, but it was solved by Alpina in 24 hours. They have sent a new control unit with overnight service. The next day it was at my dealership and installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deckard said:
Thank you :cheers:

On the left hand side, click on my username, you'll see the link to my homepage. ("Visit Deckard's website")

Greets
Deckard
Deckard, you've got a very nice b3s, the B3s i test drove recently had the round alpina logo on both the boot and bonnet instead of the BMW logo, can these be purchased seperately..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deckard, was there any issues, replacements part on either B3 3.3 or B3s that you repalced that was alot more expensive on either of the cars.

i.e. was the brake disc for example more expensive on the B3s than the b3 3.3.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
430 Posts
jugghead said:
Deckard, was there any issues, replacements part on either B3 3.3 or B3s that you repalced that was alot more expensive on either of the cars.

i.e. was the brake disc for example more expensive on the B3s than the b3 3.3.
Sorry, I can't answer on that one yet, since other than an oil change, nothing have been done (changed) on the car.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top