BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I will told of the "nice" experience I experimented on the thursday evening.

While driving in Barcelona to a meeting in the city center, sudenly my B3, behaved like it was in neutral........ no reverse, no drive..... strange.

I called the lorry to take teh car to the BMW dealer and.... surprise!!!..at 72.000 km, my switchtronic gearbox has said "good bay"....... whitout any telling simptoms.......it's completely gone, service manager said I have burned the clutches!!???? It's possible.

Only telling simptoms was that the previous day the warning light for the gearbox light one moment when the car was started and the it swithed off.

Also ATF fluid is black.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, not quite a hard driver, I would say a fast driver on the motorway chasing Porsches and similar machinery :hihi:

And yes, it's expensive, 3400 EUR the gearbox alone :crying2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Jimmy01,

Thanks a lot for your offer. I have also a suitable ZF autobox from a E46 with aprox. 62.000 km on it...... I only need to source the correct torque converter from Alpina.

The repair will be done at my local mechanic who takes care of my car collection instead of the BMW dealer as they didn't like to work on Alpinas....

·
Registered
659 Posts
We tried! dont suppose the tc will be cheap!!
at least you wont be paying stealer prices when you get the job done,
good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,

My B3 is back on the road with a new box and torque converter, after the breackdownb of the original box at 80.000 km...... I hope the new box lasts a litle bit more :rolleyes:

Also my car was experiencing some annoying electronic problems lately, related to the MDK (Motordroselklape), that's sended erros messages to the ECU, then the car running in fault mode,...., nice!! :mad:

For me it seemed a problem of the conector of the MDK, because if I disconected and reconected again the car worked okay for several days, sometimes only ofr a few minutes.

Do you guess what was the solution form Alpina????' Yes, they have superseeded the original BMW MDK for a new MDK with the conector wired permanently to the MDK, so I needed to cut and paste to the existing wiring..... and they said it wasn't under guarantee.... no coments.

Okay, my car is now 5 years old, but for me it was obvious that it was a problem that they have under guarantee....

Any other lister with the samne problem?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I experience a very small issue with my B3s: at around 3200 rpm, the engine suddenly jumps to 3600 rpm, when accelerating slightly. It does it only in 4th and 5th gear, when driving 'on the torque". Does not happen when hard pushing. Did you had also similar signs?
Happy to read that yours is OK by now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Sherlock,

Mine broke unexpectedly, I was driving at low speed on the city when suddendly, the car switched themselves to neutral for a few seconds just to reengage the gear 10 seconds more and then definitely stayed in neutral, ..... it seems as the gearbox was borken mechanichally speaking, nothing to relate with inside clutches, etc.... very strange.

My car didn't make any tell tale simptoms that something was wrong on the box, except perhaps sometimes a clonk when changing from 3rd to 4th speed at moderate speed on the motorway. :3:

Yours simptoms seems like a problem with the torque converter, perhaps too much torque..... your car has 323 bhp instead of the official 305 bhp, so perhaps you are on the limit of the capabilities of the converter and the box.... be careful, as mine didn't make any strange things.

Or perhaps yours is developing the same terminal illness as mine...... good luck! :sad2:

Now, as the car has been superseed in it's daily usage with an X5, I will only use them on motorways...... hope the new box just lasts a litle bit more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts