BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just took out the B12 5,7 for a spin after 6 months of winterstorage.
I have had it on a batterycharger, but the charger has failed and the battery was empty.
I had to use a batterypack to start the car. It started easily but the yellow light for the rear achsel sterring was lighting up. Could this just be something due to the total lack of electricity on the car for a while?

Also after 90 min of careful driving I stopped. The battery did NOT show any sign of reacting, and the car was still completly dead.
I also got a ticking sound after closing the front door.

Any advice other than to change both batterys.

Can I use the same as in the normal 850 CSI? Do any of you have the spec on the batterys I need.

BTW: Its still a blast to drive. A friend of mine driving after me said that after a short burst inside a tunnel it was like driving behind a big bike, the sound is very high piched and sound reall agressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Erik,

I had the same problem with my Alpina after 4 month of storage. Even after a two hour drive the battery was still dead. Changed the battery and everything was back to normal :M5thumbs:

regards,

peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Erik,

If you have the original Alpina "Technical datas" sheet (on green computer listing paper), the spec for batteries is given as -

V/ah 2 x 12/65.

My B12 5.7 had its batteries replaced in 2001 with BMW branded 12V 65 Ah x 2. You can probably save a few bob by going non-branded, but wouldn't be my choice.

Hope this helps,

Paul
 

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
pauledwick said:
Erik,

If you have the original Alpina "Technical datas" sheet (on green computer listing paper), the spec for batteries is given as -

V/ah 2 x 12/65.

My B12 5.7 had its batteries replaced in 2001 with BMW branded 12V 65 Ah x 2. You can probably save a few bob by going non-branded, but wouldn't be my choice.

Hope this helps,

Paul
On our B12 it was only 1 100Amp battery, the left side battery was removed.

I guess it save some weight and helps the balance a bit :)

Anyone else that use 1 big instead of 2 small batteries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Erik said:
On our B12 it was only 1 100Amp battery, the left side battery was removed.

I guess it save some weight and helps the balance a bit :)

Anyone else that use 1 big instead of 2 small batteries.
I'm no expert, but if the weight/balance is improved by the one big battery, then the likelihood is that this would have been the set up in the first place.

2 "small" batteries have a combined output near 25% over the one "big" battery, but I have a feeling that is not the problem. The "big" battery has max 50% more output than one of the "small" batteries, and depending on the set up by Alpina you could be blowing fuses due to too much power being output from your single battery.

Perhaps time to contact the factory as they should know the answer ?
 

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pauledwick said:
I'm no expert, but if the weight/balance is improved by the one big battery, then the likelihood is that this would have been the set up in the first place.

2 "small" batteries have a combined output near 25% over the one "big" battery, but I have a feeling that is not the problem. The "big" battery has max 50% more output than one of the "small" batteries, and depending on the set up by Alpina you could be blowing fuses due to too much power being output from your single battery.

Perhaps time to contact the factory as they should know the answer ?
The weight balance coment was mostly a joke ;) , 20 kg +/- on a almost 2000 kg heavy car would not make much difference.

We have had no problems with fuses at all. We have had the car for several years and was not even aware that it had only 1 battery.

I have been told that also others has changed from 2 to 1 battery due to less problems. I have no idea if that is correct or not.

I will run with this for a while and see if it works OK.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top