BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Can anyone help me with a few questions about my 98 E39 B10 3.2

My car has a 5 speed manual gearbox, is it a standard BMW 528I box? I have checked the "TEILEKATALOG" which supposedly lists all Alpina additional parts and there is no mention of an Alpina modified gearbox for the 3.2 / 3.3 models. For some reason I thought I had read somewhere that it had a different box fitted, any ideas please?

As the car is fitted with Automatic stability control (ASC) am I right in assuming that the rear axle does not have a limited slip differential (LSD)? The "TEILEKATALOG" does show an Alpina differential fitted to my car, I guess with different ratios to the standard BMW 528I.

I want to get the oil changed in both the gearbox and rear axle, not because I have a problem but purely as maintenance as I intend keeping the car for some time. What is the correct type of oil to be used in the gearbox & rear axle as I want to make sure the correct type is used when I get it done soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice / answers.

Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
The B10 3.2/3.3 have standard BMW gearboxes. The differential on the 3.2 is also standard BMW. That is denoted by the BMW part # in the ALPINA parts catalogue.(Short part # are ALPINA specific parts, long standard BMW parts)

Now as for the oils, all manual BMW´s from 97 onwards (except Euro M3) have a lifetime transmission oil. MTF-LT1 it was called if I remember correct. The differential has also a lifetime oil, I don´t know the type though. Both available from BMW. There´s is ofcourse the possibility to change to normal oils, but I can´t make a comment on this being a wise move or not. But on changing the lifetime oil I can comment, do it. There is no such thing as a lifetime oil. Just ask anyone with a 5 speed ZF automatic.

Niclas

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Niklas.

I didn't understand the reason between the long and short part numbers, but I do now. :D

One more question, would Alpina have uprated some of the parts on my car with other BMW standard parts to take into account the additional performance?

Thanks again

Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alpina Jim said:
One more question, would Alpina have uprated some of the parts on my car with other BMW standard parts to take into account the additional performance?
Quite possible. Would have to decipher all BMW part # to find out though.

Niclas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts