BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has started to use oil and there a lot of blue smoke out of the exhaustpipes. This happens when the car is idling, acceleration, down the hill at low gears. In other words - all the time. Even when the oil is quite cold. When I give throttle after running down a hill on low gears, it's banging in the exhaust-system. What's wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
223 Posts
eee said:
My car has started to use oil and there a lot of blue smoke out of the exhaustpipes. This happens when the car is idling, acceleration, down the hill at low gears. In other words - all the time. Even when the oil is quite cold. When I give throttle after running down a hill on low gears, it's banging in the exhaust-system. What's wrong? :confused:
For me it sounds if there´s something wrong with the turbos. i´m not sure but on the other hand it also could be the head gasket...oil is running on the pistons and it´ll burned away ( blue smoke ).

sorry but maybe some other biturbo prof.can help you better than me;)

cheers alex

·
Registered
737 Posts
IF the smoke is blue, it sounds very much like oil only - if it were white then you'd be losing coolant too.

Turbo's are pretty simple devices and only have a carbon oil seal to prevent bypass - if it is the turbo then I guess it's leaking on the exhaust side and not being ingested by the engine intake. Any decent Turbo repair company should be up to the job of replacing the bearings and carbon oil seals, and as turbos are now fitted to so many vehicles, the cost shouldn't be too bad - the expensive bit I guess is getting them removed in the first place.

Thing to do is not run the car as you don't know what the exact problem is, and as things go, one problem generally leads to another - don't know what the CATS would make of oil passing through them for example. That and the fact that RS 10/60 is expensive stuff on it's own.

Good luck,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
definetely sounds like turbo problem have you checked for oil leaking around that area.

·
Registered
393 Posts
eee said:
Blue smoke all the time is indicative of one or both turbos having failed compressor oil seals. Oil is then ingested into the intake and burned in the engine, thus giving rise to the blue smoke. If the exhaust seals on the turbo(s) had failed, then the smoke would be white.

Blue smoke can also be indicative of the valve stem oil seals having failed, but you would not see blue smoke all the time, generally only on the overun and when lifting off.

Removing the turbos and replacing them is many hours 'book time' (around 6-12 hours IIRC). I had this done to my Biturbo last year.

Regards,

Neil

·
Registered
885 Posts
eee said:
I will check for leaks, especially on the exhaust side. Which turbo will you recommend? It's difficult to get the Garrett T25, isn't it?
You can only get the turbo's by alpina,no corners to cut here.Maybe other turbo's can be fitted but it will be a hell of a job then.Turbo's costs € 1500,- a piece,but you get a €500,- refund a piece for the old ones.(thats if there are no tears in it)If you also need the manifolds thats a extra €600,- a piece so keep your fingers crossed. :sad2:

Regards,C-J

p.s.
Of course you can always look for used ones,if you need them a might know a pair.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hello Neil,

Thanks for correcting my lesser knowledge!!! How are you? Might be going to the Ring soon, how was your last trip?

To fix eee's problem, is it ok just to have the original turbo's rebuilt using T25 internals? Am I correct in thinking that the Compressor housings are unique to Alpina but not the compressors themselves (or the shaft and bearings)? It's no doubt going to be expensive but this way he might save 1000 Euros on the total rebuild?

Roger - on your high speed runs with Cor-Jan, any chance one of you had different fuel maps selected? The switch for 95 and 98 Ron fuel?? Another thing to look at is the state of all the boost hoses. Earlier this year I removed the lot, cleaned everything out (the intercooler was filthy by the way) and when reassembled, the car ran much better, almost as if I was losing pressure before.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
the only worry there is your turbo housing is 100% sure to be cracked they all crack because of the heat if they are not cracked your lucky, a good mechanic who knows the bi-turbo will have the turbos off in about 4-5 hrs in a main dealer they will take their time and will not know much about the car good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.