BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started work on the B10 as the rear jacking points are rotten, plan is to:

Sandblast/paint underside.
Paint/powder coat all chassis components.
Rebuild using new bushes and bearings.
New fuel, brake and SLS lines.
New alpina fuel tank ( 81 litre fitted currently )
Reinstate diff cooler as lines all rusty and belt removed
Rebuild rear shocks.

Once the rears done I'll do the front as well.

I've already restored my M5 so can't imagine any problems arising but any tips are always welcome!

MIKE.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
yours must be an early bi turbo as the later cars ran an electric pump for the diff cooler

fuel tank wise bi turbos used the 90l M5 metal tanks

I've sold my M5 and am back into the bi turbo fold again in a rehselled car

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally managed to crack on with car recently and decided to go for the full restoration. The rear sills have been replaced and the drain hoses extended. Hopefully going to the sandblasters soon then off to the body shop for a respray.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi Mike,

Really keen to see photos of your sill repair - my BT isn’t looking too clever in that area and I’m keen to see what how much rot was hiding underneath the underseal and how much heavy welding you had to do.

Still hunting for a good repair workshop near me in Surrey to do the work on mine.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great pictures and really looking forward to seeing the finished car. Like Dave I would also love to see some pics of the sill repair if you have any. My BT is also looking pretty bad in the same area, especially on the passenger side and I will need to get this repair completed very soon. Have taken it out of storage recently and have it on stands now to give it some much needed TLC and noticed the sills are getting bad. Did you use new BMW repair panels or did you make your own?

Leon

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, here are some pictures of the sill repair, I used BMW part numbers 41008181707 and 41008181708. Only the rears needed doing as the fronts were done years ago and the body shop passed the hoses through the front wings.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi mate

build looks like its going well.

Can I ask where your getting the work done from? Mines needs doing and I've just started collecting parts I need or my build.

Would be good to use a body shop that knows their way around an e34. You can pm me if tha'ts easier

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, been a while since posting on here but due to work commitments the cars gone on the back burner for the time being. Here are a few pictures of the car post paint however these do not do it justice, the finish is second to none.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, after quite a long time of being forgotten I now have time to continue the B10 project. Most of the underside is done enough so that the jig has been removed from the rear. The front needs to be finished and there is a lot else still to do but hopefully over the next few months this car will really start coming together.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Amazing quality of work, I love project updates like this - gives me hope for mine :) Keep them coming.

Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts