BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Our B10 BiTurbo is very ill at the moment and it appears that it needs a new bottom end. Either the rings are shot or the bores are worn - a cylinder leakage test has shown 85% losses to the sump. Does anyone in any country know if it is possible to get a recon or new short engine. The car has now done around 190,000 km and we had the top end rebuilt only 3,500 km ago which may have speeded up the problem with the bottom end. I could go to BMW here and give them a list of part numbers but knowing Alpina the prices will probably be equivalent to the value of the vehicle!!

My mechanics have carried out all other tests such as adjusting clearances, compression checks (4 -5 Bar only) etc and unfortunatley it is obvious that the problem lies in the bottom end :sad1: :mad: !!!

Thanks for any advise that may come!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi,

the compression is normally about 7 or 8 bar...so it seems you have a problem. Now it depends on what kind of pistons you have inside it (The original with 92,00 or the 92,215). If you have the original ones you can either buy new rings (about 800€ plus Tax) or if the block has too many scratches you can order new pistons incl. rings (92,215 about 1500€ plus Tax, plus boring the block 200€). The Alpina prices could be a little bit higher now, because they increased their prices :)

Hope that gives you a small idea about the costs.

Regards,
Dirk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Dirk, I had thought of perhaps just getting away with rings and possibly pistons too but I am worried that once the engine is opened up it will be a case of having the crank re-ground, shells replaced etc etc - Given the mileage of 188k km I was wondering if it might be prudent to have the bottom end overhauled? Have you had this work carried out on one before and can advise of what the internals were like on the engine and what mileage it had when the work was necessary.

Thanks,

Jonathan

:cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
jon_G_S said:
Thanks for the help Dirk, I had thought of perhaps just getting away with rings and possibly pistons too but I am worried that once the engine is opened up it will be a case of having the crank re-ground, shells replaced etc etc - Given the mileage of 188k km I was wondering if it might be prudent to have the bottom end overhauled? Have you had this work carried out on one before and can advise of what the internals were like on the engine and what mileage it had when the work was necessary.

Thanks,

Jonathan

:cheers:
Jon,
If you need parts.... get somebody in Germany to get them for you. Parts from Alpina are not as dear in Germany as they are in UK.. But they have to be delivered to a German address. The Germans think their parts are dear but then they haven't suffered BMW (GB) mark up!!;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gustav said:
Wow, you have a BiTurbo as well? Nice collection!

Thanks Gustav - the Alpinas are a bit of a passion so I guess we have to take the highs with the lows!!

Thanks to the others as well - I'll perhaps save for the cluster after the engine problems are sorted Richard ;)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i can get parts just as cheap as german dealers in belgium if it helps, ive got trade account with alpina dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts