BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a b10 biturbo and the clutch is not only very stiff but it engages right off the floor. Can this be adjusted/clutch replaced to allow for engagement further up and less abruptly? if i need a new clutch is the alpina OEM the way to go?
The variable boost control know is not working ; boost working well; max boost reads 2.0 bar car is very strong-
any suggestions re diagnosis and remedy to get this adjustment working would be appreciated.
THanks
jh_m5

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just purchased a b10 biturbo
Congratulations! Welcome to the board!

Which production number is your BT?

and the clutch is not only very stiff but it engages right off the floor. Can this be adjusted/clutch replaced to allow for engagement further up and less abruptly? if i need a new clutch is the alpina OEM the way to go?

Stiffness is part of the car. New pressure plate will reduce it a bit.

There are some adjustment on the clutch pedal. There should be an excentric bolt which would give the opportunity to adjust the clutch pedal a bit up if this isn't already done.

Next thing to check is the hose between the pedal and gearbox actuator. It is under the car and Alpina recommend to replace it for an enforced one. The stock 535i part is not suitable for the higher pressure needed to release the clutch.

I believe the clutch disc can be bought by Sachs P/N from any store, not sure for the pressure plate.

The variable boost control know is not working ; boost working well; max boost reads 2.0 bar car is very strong-
any suggestions re diagnosis and remedy to get this adjustment working would be appreciated.
THanks
jh_m5
Max boost should be 1.8bar while the variable boost knob is moved to the right and 1.6 if moved to the left. High chance the control unit is disabled and a fixed boost controller is placed in between. Does the LED above the variable knob lights up when the ignition is on and engine is not running?

·
Registered
686 Posts
What is is with people who ask question and then never respond after people take the time to reply?

Hope all those BT's out there are doing well?

Dave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a b10 biturbo and the clutch is not only very stiff but it engages right off the floor. Can this be adjusted/clutch replaced to allow for engagement further up and less abruptly? if i need a new clutch is the alpina OEM the way to go?
THanks
jh_m5
Just to put this out there, I have #99 and mine had the same problem, bled the system, changed the clutch cyl/sec.cyl, with no improvement i thought maybe the clutch pivot was smashed and was dreading having to drop the tranny- until one day after almost a year of struggling with it randomly not disengaging, i found that the clutch pedal mounting - the hinge or loop that is around the shaft where its mounted had cracked, and it was springing open when i step on the pedal, and closing when i let go. Depending on what position the plastic inner sleeve was (which was also cracked), it would hold its shape and disengage, if it sat on a bad position it would half open in an oblong shape, not fully pushing the clutch and hence resulting in a really low engagement point or not enough release to get it in gear. I really found it out of blind luck because if the clutch wasnt fully pressed when it was showing this symptom it just wouldnt be visible. I think because the biturbos clutch is pretty heavy to begin with, it might wear out that hinge or crack a weld early. So hope this helps someone.... 25 euro for a new clutch pedal and plastic bushing and my problems were gone forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts