BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I have been on, B10 has been parked up in the garage for a quite a while now as we are really busy. I need some info on what clutch, flywheel etc etc i need to get for my car, I know there is so much info on this but tbh its just confusing and I already have had my hand bitten off in th past in buying the wrong one.
So if there is anyone on here with a B10 running over 500bhp and they dont mind sharing which option they went for i would really appreciate their help in this, if you do not wish to post the info up on the board thats fine, you can email me on [email protected].
Thanks

Irfan.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hello Irfan,,,

i am maybe not running 500 ps,, but have 380 whp and 425 lbs/ft ((575nm)) WTQ and my clutch is ,,, JUST ,, taking that

i have been searching A LOT for a replacement .. and to be honest the only replacement that makes sense is the single mass flywheel solution

if you wanna see the difference between a B10 BT dual mass flywheel and a single mass flywheel here it is

,,,, it is almost 3" thick.. and the weight is colossal..

and here is a singlemass flywheel from 850 CSI

if someone thinks it makes some torque to have a heavy flywheel it is nonsense ,, the engine is über smooth,, but a heavy flywheel is a horsepower thief,,, that is a fact

i suggest that you get a hold on an E28 M30 SM flywheel or from an E34 M5.. 3.6 NOT 3.8 ... why not,, 3.8 use dualmass flywheel

use the Sachs 765 press and buy a good disc and you will be save .... this modification is well known between BT owners that go SM flywheel conversion... dead easy... bullitproof hold and also bolt on

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sveinbjörn,

Thanks for your reply, sounds good, if only I could get confirmation from another owner with similar power that this conversion definitely works with no issues, that would put my mind at ease and I can go ahead and order the parts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would be interested in the solution and feedback too as mine needs replacing soon.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
will a genuine clutch not take it then?
The main problem with the oem DUAL Mass flywheel clutch combo is that there are so few that can make a setup that holds 650+nm

in a Single mass flywheel .. there are many that makes tons of options

1 - 6 of 6 Posts