BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"But it didn't look that bad to me....."

If you own a UK car and have ever driven it in the winter with salt on the roads, please get your car on a ramp for a close-up inspection of the bodywork for hidden rust. [The wings have to come off to do this properly.]

I just sent my car off to have the jacking points repaired and after it was steam cleaned and the under-seal removed and someone hit it with a hammer and poked about; it's pretty clear there is rot everywhere and I mean everywhere. What should have been a few day's work now sees the removal of the entire interior, front & rear subframes etc...

I will of course restore my Bi-Turbo and get rid of any rust, cutting out rotten sections, replacing them with new metal or BMW replacement sections where necessary and fully underseal her for a long and happy life but it's going to be a very complex project costing way more than I originally budgeted....

Don't let it happen to you.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How does this happen when car bodies are dipped in corrosion inhibitors etc??

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually quite comfortable about the car being in pieces if the rust and corrosion are going to be removed once and for all - no point having a mint interior when everything else around it needs major open wallet surgery....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is nearly ready to be delivered back to me. A huge amount of work was required once the true extent of the corrosion (rust) was exposed following removal of all the near perfect looking underseal... Below is an example of the OSR inner sill repair. All sunroof drains have now been extended to exit below the sills, not inside them...

IMG_4155.JPG

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ready for action again - been a labour of love and just over 12 months in a workshop but there is not a hint of rust and all fuel and hydraulic pipes are new, brakes overhauled and fresh trim to replace anything old and tired.

Cheers,,

Dave.

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks great again; I had to do less sill work on my E34 B10 a few years ago an now I have my E39 back as my daily driver and a garage built over the E34 and E38 neither go out in the wet unless it's for the MoT or a real emergency. The B10 has now got 155k miles on it so having it in one piece and dry is peace of mind.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'm very pleased with the work done - she required almost 4 times the work I estimated (in terms of affected areas). Rust is an absolute killer and I was amazed to see just how far it had spread beneath the underseal - it didn't look too bad.

The good news is, it could probably live in a salt bath now as it has layers of primer, paint, modern underseal and every cavity is full of Waxoyl type sealer. I took the decision to replace all fuel and hydraulic lines and have them protected too - maybe not the original finish, but it's better for the car this way. I'm just sourcing new heat shields from Alpina at the moment - hope they can find them.

The sunroof drains have been extended to exit correctly and all the lower door rubbers are new and filled with underwater grease to stop water getting in - the door drains water right on top of the strips so it was a common area for rust.

So now the pressure of getting her back on the road is over - taxed and MOT'd (without advisories), I can now concentrate on detailing the rest of the car and attending to any mechanical service work that is due.

Question is: Alpina Stripes or No Stripes? IF stripes, Spoiler only or all over. Silver is the only colour I would accept.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Stripes is a contentious thing, not least because originally Alpina offered only silver and gold pinstripes, whereas now I have seen black, graphite, white, red, blue and green combo, in fact pretty much anything you want.

When I got my arctic silver Touring it was obvious that silver stripes would not work but a sister car in Arctic silver, B10 4.6 Touring number 19, was pictured with factory fitted gold stripes - and to be honest that didn't work either. My car has an ultramarine (blue) leather interior so I started thinking about blue stripes. With Simon Alcorns detailed knowledge, help and persistence he managed to find a very dark blue vinyl, ocean blue, which matches/compliments the interior really well so he got some stripes made up for me, sent them up (I was the other end of the country otherwise I would have had him fit them) and I got a professional company to fit them.

There were a few comments about them not being original but everyone to a person who has seen the car think they look 'right' so I'm happy with my choice.

Two words of warning for E34 Alpina stripes in particular; while they look very flat the front spoilers are actually quite complex curves so the guy fitting my stripes fitted each line individually - he took well over an hour to get it just right. The other area to watch is the short set of pinstripes in front of the front wheel as the swage line of the car bodywork dips at a greater rate than before the wheel arch and it's quite critical imho to get the angle of the stripes just right - follow the swage line exactly and the stripes appear to dip too much, keep them on the same 'line' as before the arch and they seem too high. Again, it's work really taking your time to get them exactly right as once they're on they're stuck there for good.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have a look at cars 50 and 53 on the alpina archive B10 BiTurbo list for a stripe comparison; both are black but one with full silver stripes and one with full gold stripes.

My opinion, fwiw, is that the silver on black looks a little monochromatic whereas the gold on black really pops and imho looks pretty stunning.

If you want to be a bit adventurous like I was you could also consider red as a non-original look; there was a jet black E60 B5 at a Sytner meet a few years ago and whilst it only had front spoiler stripes they were bright red - it made the car look like something only the Devil or Darth Vadar would choose to drive.

HTH

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info there and I'm glad you picked up on both my points of concern - the front spoiler curve is not to be underestimated and it's also very obvious if the stripes have taken a nose dive in front of the wheel where the fitter hasn't paid attention to line front to rear. And there is my worry - who to fit them?

Ironically a good friend has a B3s Touring in Silver with silver stripes and it looks very good indeed - the stripes seem to be under the lacquer and while they don't shout at you, they stand out enough to be recognisable but not in your face.

So the spoiler is a YES I think but the jury is still out on the rest of the car - I don't even know if Alpina produce them still or have modern stock (that isn't aged and non-sticky)...

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you want OEM quality there is a sticky thread on alpina register For Sale section from a guy that makes them to original specification in terms of size, cut, colour and quality as well being able to do custom sets. Highly recommended. he can fit them too - if you're anywhere near the South end of the country.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts