BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boosts to 1.1 bar only with no power - but engine revs freely

Hi Guys,

Been a while. Thought I would take the Bi-Turbo for a spin the other day and I had the first proper fault in 15 years of ownership.

Recharged the almost flat battery over a couple of days. Car started first time, idled a little lumpy until it warmed through - no smoke and it passed my electrical accessories test (I always run through everything after a period of storage) and then took it for a spin.

I always keep to 3000 RPM and no boost until the oil is above 70 degrees so was surprised when it got to temperature that while it was happy to rev, there was no boost - 1.1 bar on the gauge which is 0.1 bar boost (nothing). All hoses look fine and intercooler seems to be without leaks.

Took the boost pipe off the electronic throttle body and with ignition on (engine off) it opens fully when the throttle is depressed so the correct signals are getting through.

From research however, I read about the dreaded EML instrument cluster fault and was wondering if this is the problem I have. The light does not illuminate when you turn the ignition on (can't remember if it should) so can someone with a BT perform that test for me?

I removed the airbox and the pipes to the wastegate controller look ok so I've no reason to suspect problems there.

IT will probably end up with Phil Crouch but I do like to understand what's going on in any case.

What else should I check?

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
606 Posts
sounds exactly like the EML fault with the clocks. I had the exact same problem with my old one and chased stuff about played with all sorts. Phil Crouch fixed my clocks, so i'd do the same and save yourself the hassle!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presume Phil repaired a broken track with a link wire - do you know where? Since I have a soldering iron, time and a stubborn streak that refuses to give up on something until I've tried, can you share a photo or something before I give it to Phil?

Also, while I'm on the information scrounge - anyone know of a very good, trusted bodyshop in Surrey? I've got a patch of rust around the opening of the petrol filler in the rear wing that I want dealt with. I take my M3 to Sam down to Impact Bodywork by the Bluebell Railway but its a bit of a trek (he is bloody good though).

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
606 Posts
He did repair the broken link with a wire yes. I'm like you but in this case i took it to him and drank a cup of tea and watched Phil fix it as he told me of all his customer woes!

I know a guy who is Gatwick way who is 2nd to none on his panel beating/rust repairs if you want. He welded up my E30 alpina and you wouldn't know it from the standard of his repairs.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dropped the clocks off with Phil this morning and hope to pick them up later this week - figured there is too much to go wrong if I try to learn a fix for EML issues on my own car....

Bodyshop - I'm just north of Gatwick so that sounds good in terms of location. IF his paint finish is excellent also, I would like to know more. I spent a total of about £5k over two workshop visits for my E30 M3 on under body repairs to cut out rot, weld in new metal and refinish to original. Expensive but worth it as you can't tell yet I know it was done properly. I need to tackle the Bi-Turbo before it runs away from me and costs double.

Cheers,

dave.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Give my mate Barry a call 07912 100047 tell him Simon13 put you in touch. Gary is the panel beater, i can only speak of this. I don't know what the paintwork jobs are like at his place of work but he does private work also with my good friend Barry so give him a bell.

If you want pictures of the repair work on my e30 i have loads!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very happy to say Phil Crouch worked his magic on my EML light earlier this week, repairing a poor connection and changing a few capacitors while in there and Warp Drive has been restored - with bells on. Seems to pull harder than ever.

Also sailed through the MOT today beating even the current emissions standards - I do this to see what's being burned and with HC at less than 20 and Lambda spot on, it's fair to say the engine is in pretty perfect shape.

The bodywork is the next job.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very happy to say Phil Crouch worked his magic on my EML light earlier this week, repairing a poor connection and changing a few capacitors while in there and Warp Drive has been restored - with bells on. Seems to pull harder than ever.
This seems to be a very similar problem with my Biturbo, the problem was intermittent at first, but now it won't boost.

Is there a way to test it? Do you mind providing a bit more detail on what was done to fix it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we shared the same symptoms - the EML light would come on and take time to go out and then it would flash on and off (as designed) and then not at all - which coincided with lack of boost. If I think about it I had the problem for some time as it was losing performance but in a gradual way. The difference between now and then is phenomenal - it took me back to 2001 when I bought the car.

The correct function of the EML light is to come on with the ignition, do a self check and turn itself off. If it doesn't come on, there is a fault in the circuit and the ECU restricts power to the engine to protect the innocent because the light won't come on if it needed to. It's that simple.

Phil Crouch had the clocks for a few days - I don't know what the repair looks like - but he repaired a broken connection to the EML lights and changed a few capacitors he said. More than that I don't know but the cost was very reasonable - much less than a tank of fuel. This is his website and his email is on the contacts page if you need it. CPC Performance Engineering Ltd - Home

Cheers,

Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts