BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i was wondering if there is anything to gain from doing a ECU Remap on the B.T? Is there any power gain etc.?

Thank you in advance

Paul

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi all i was wondering if there is anything to gain from doing a ECU Remap on the B.T? Is there any power gain etc.?

Thank you in advance

Paul
HELLO,,

My car was remapped.. and i can for sure tell you there was a difference,, but the wastegate have a 1 bar secure spring so it doesnt matter if the car is mappet to blow 1.4 you will only get 1 bar,, i remember that when i was looking over Mr.X shoulder ,, that he had programmed 1.2 bar in to my ECU

NB. the injectors will be close to max flow as they are 360 cc ,, i have a set of 440 that i will use when/if i will do TURBO upgrade,, and i hope i will

my opinion is that,, you must get a map-guru that knows really what he is doing,, the software is an OLD-SCHOOL technology and you must reprogram 2 chips,, one for FUEL, and one for BOOST.. and there are 4 ecu under the cover hiha,, be sure that you are programing the right one

I am very pleased with my car ,, and as i have a brandnew freeflow 63mm tigwelded stainless steel exhaust,, with just the rear Muffler .. the car is a fast BT,, maby not as fast as some boardmember here have ,, but i am pleased as it is :viking:

·
Registered
620 Posts
but the wastegate have a 1 bar secure spring so it doesnt matter if the car is mappet to blow 1.4 you will only get 1 bar,, i remember that when i was looking over Mr.X shoulder ,, that he had programmed 1.2 bar in to my ECU
The turbos are well done with 1 bar

the injectors will be close to max flow as they are 360 cc
nope, the original are 300cc

@pulsapharer,
leave the BT as it is....it is a robust fast car. Faster car´s are still out there even with a remapped ECU.

·
Registered
135 Posts
@pulsapharer, a friend of mine is a remapping guru, a true autodidact wizzkid and started out tuning the old school way years back. Now he is almost entirely busy with remapping ECU's, both petrol as diesel engines (he's doing the 320D of Bleekemolen Racing). Check out his website at VDB Works and drop him your questions, I am certain he will answer it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your answers you have been most helpful. I don't want to do any large updates. Just intesrested inas the car is now. Wondered if you could tweak it a little to increase the bhp etc

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
thank you all for your answers you have been most helpful. I don't want to do any large updates. Just intesrested inas the car is now. Wondered if you could tweak it a little to increase the bhp etc
theres no one in uk who can do any mapping on a bt....chips have to be changed....sweden, germany,switzerland are places were you can get it done..... Cost anything from 1500 upwards depending how far you want to go THERES NO QUICK OR EASY WAY JUST ONE WAY

·
Registered
750 Posts

Thank you in advance

Paul

You need to modify the LDR ecu (= turbo regulation) and the motronic = (injection & ignition) for this. Maybe the EML to modify the drivers wish. The stock LDR ecu won't to able to read pressures above 2 bar absolute. Tuning it up to 2.0 or above is not possible. The internal sensor is limited to "view" 2.0 bar absolute. Changing the sensor for a bigger one is possible. But I would not recommend this on the stock turbos (to small turbine inlet, already high turbine inlet pressures are measured with the stock setup).

For al, the rated ouput of the injectors are 300cc @ 3.0 bar and 100% dutycycle , while boosting you must count the intake pressure above this. so when boosting 2.0bar absolute your fuel pressure should give 3.0+1.0= 4.0 bar! This will serious higher the output rate. multiply this by 0.8 (80% dutycycle to not overheat final stages etc) you have the "new" output of the injectors. Calculators can be found on the internet.

The stock BT delivers a boost pressure of 1.70~1.75 bar (abs) (not the 1.8 your dash is showing). Boosting it to the max of the stock (electronic!) setup ~2.0 should give you gains, exact numbers I really don't know (don't have a dyno yet). For every 0.1bar gain approx! 20-30hp increase. On this engine I would go for higher torque than max hp.

I would personal set the LDR ecu minimum potentiometer to stock, middle to stock max and max to approx 2.0. Then use the max only for short runs to minimize engine and turbo stress. From 4500rpm or so down it from 2.0 to 1.8. This will lower maximum pressure of the turbine inlet. I you don't do this I doubt a long living T/C (thrust bearing won't like it).

If I had more experience I could supply you such modified eproms, but I don't have a dyno and won't sell you non tested eproms. The risk of engine damage is to much and for all not affordable.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Tomba, thanks for the very good description!!! very nice.
that was just a theory explanation wait till you see him doing the practical stuff for real:D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was actually trying to defend you, I dont think your comments are really building a good reputation for you here and therefore I thought I might try to guide you somewhat. So I guess it makes us boyfriends then? Common man.. this is stupid. Nobody here thinks your comments are cool.

"banana dik-man" can stand up for him self, does not need me to defend him :cheers:
wasnt aware i was building any reputation fart but thanks for guidancecherrsagai

·
Registered
135 Posts
remapping is easy if you know how to do it. This friend of mine is even remapping new-school tdi's for raceteams that really don't know how to do it themselves. I agree with mister banana here. A BT is an old car with old technology, remapping is therfor maybe not the optimal solution, change it with a KMS, bigger and more modern injectors (the originals are just too small), a new handcrafted outlet manifold and a set of more modern turbo chargers: it will make this car much better, faster and more reliable! But then again, 99% of the Alpina enthusiasts will keep their BT's original (including myself) so this whole discussion is crap.

·
Registered
750 Posts
remapping is easy if you know how to do it.
How to do is the problem. If it was easy everyone could do it. Like Rojer says not many are there who do it.

This friend of mine is even remapping new-school tdi's for raceteams that really don't know how to do it themselves.
There are 1.000.000+++ TDI's and less than 500 BTs left. Your friend rather spends his money and time in remapping these new ECU's than technologie from the 90's. I can not blame him.

I agree with mister banana here. A BT is an old car with old technology, remapping is therfor maybe not the optimal solution, change it with a KMS, bigger and more modern injectors (the originals are just too small), a new handcrafted outlet manifold and a set of more modern turbo chargers: it will make this car much better, faster and more reliable!
This would more suite if you have a 535i. How will you control the idle with the KMS? It can not communicate with the EML and installing an idle valve is a joke. I got a KMS on my M20B25 and idle regulation isn't there.That ecu fits more to people who only go flat out, Mr John M. needs to apply such regulations if he want to sell his system to people with cars like an Alpina. Allthough I wouldn't install a KMS in an Alpina I am happy with the features for a race car, nothing wrong with that. And there is nothing wrong with the stock ECU. It handles all the features the car needs.

But then again, 99% of the Alpina enthusiasts will keep their BT's original (including myself) so this whole discussion is crap.
There are enough people who already boosted there car 0,1-0,2 bar up to gain torque and power. At least 3 of them I know. It's the owners choice to do, it is his car. So it aint completely crap.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
As Tomba mentioned,, i agree with him

there are maby not thousands of ecu wizard out-there who have the knowledge to modifie a B10 BT ,, in a correct way without destroying the engine after a while.. i do not know how much these guys are charging for doing this

if you want a real performance out of the M30B35 .. then buy an E34 535 and bolt a single turbo system on and you can get an easy 500 bhp.
the turbo knowlegde today is not the same as ALPINA was doing back in the days

Alpina B10 BT is a twinturbo car.. and should be left like that,, if you want to do any upgrades it costs,,and a lot

new exhaustmanifold from this company is a very good solution Turbo-Krümmer BMW / Alpina Bi-Turbo-Krümmer (Set) Abgassystem Turbokrümmer BMW
with a hefty price of 1500€.. and a new set of turbo for ,, the same price

it is easy 5-6k €

1 - 14 of 14 Posts