BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am still fairly new to this Alpina winning formula and wondered if anyone had an electronic or paper review or road test of one when new. AutoCar or anything similar? I am hoping it will tell me everything Alpina did to breathe their magic on to my 5 Series 3.3 Touring Number 11. Also nice to see in black and white tested 0-60 and max speed figures.

If someone has something to fax I would be very grateful for a copy.:blabla:

Thanks and hello

Brian

·
Banned
664 Posts
Hi Brian

Autocar originally roadtested the B10 3.3 in a group test (against the Jaguar XJR and Audi S6) in 19/1/2000 issue.

They then ran a B10 3.3 for a year on their fleet - and the last report on the car was published in the 17/1/2001 issue....

Some extracts of that :

Supreme engineering makes the B10 what it is: the best saloon in the world, despite some niggly faults.

A car with profound talent, turning the world's greatest all-round saloon into the world's greatest enthusiast's saloon. Something to be savoured.

What we like:
Everything the 5-Series lacked (and it wasn't much) has been added by Alpina. Amazing refinement and characterful engine compiment Munich's peerless steering and chassis.

What we don't like:
Savage depreciation because of price cuts, quality gliches, extra services.

Regards your question about Stats:

Here

I also had a B10 3.3 which I ran for 3 years before I got the M5. You can read about my thoughts on the car Here

My running costs are Here

Final things is I have 12 B10 3.3s and 10 B10 3.2s listed on the ALPINA register (www.theALPINAregister.com) so you should be able to get other owners opinions there ... and we'd love to add your car too...

cheers

Neil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neil

Thanks very much i am going to ring up and try and order that back issue. I tried clicking on add your Alpina several times today and the link fails but the car is number 11 the tourer (not estate please!)nand on the bottom of B10 3.3 under the view all alpinas link on the register web site.

Appreciate the feedback hope to talk or meet up at some point

Brian

·
Banned
664 Posts
I made some changes on the server last night - guess you spotted my typo !!
The link should work now - but as you say the car is already listed.

Regards touring rather than estate- point noted (and not for the first time !!) I'll put it on my todo list....

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
164 Posts
Brian

I am one of the B10 3.2 owners that Neil is referring to.
I have found that most info on the E39 B10 is aimed towards the 4.6 V8 so I am interested to see that Autocar did a write up on the 3.3 model.
If you get the back issue can you possibly scan it in so I can have a read myself?
Ideally I would like to find some further info on the 3.2 model as I haven't found any write ups on that to date even after looking for the last 2 years.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim

I have found out Total BMW did a cover story on the 3.3 in Feb 2000. Ive ordered it already (£5) so I will see how i can get you a copy when it comes through.

Thanks
Brian
Alpina Jim said:
Brian

I am one of the B10 3.2 owners that Neil is referring to.
I have found that most info on the E39 B10 is aimed towards the 4.6 V8 so I am interested to see that Autocar did a write up on the 3.3 model.
If you get the back issue can you possibly scan it in so I can have a read myself?
Ideally I would like to find some further info on the 3.2 model as I haven't found any write ups on that to date even after looking for the last 2 years.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Brian

I own the B10 3.3 that is featured in Autocar. If you have no joy
getting back issues let me know as I have every issue the car is
in [5 i think]. I also have the BMW magazine issue as well.

Kevin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts