BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine stumbled across a method of avoiding a ticket the other day. He "accidentally" overtook a police car doing 160mph+ on the motorway (70mph limit), and when he saw the car he slammed the brakes on, pulled over into the hard shoulder and stopped. The police came up and gave a good bo****king, but they couldn't do him for speeding as they need to follow the car for a least a quarter of a mile. So next time the police car catches you unawares. Pull over and stop, you might just keep your licence because of it.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I'm not sure about this one in the states.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
That's a good one.

DO YOU REALLY THINK POLICE TELL THE TRUTH?

A cop sees you doing 150 and he'll write you up for 75, and feel totally justified sitting on the witness stand and claiming he followed you for 2 miles and was 100feet from your bumper....

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It's true that in the UK one of the systems takes your average speed over a set distance. Blasting past them and slowing down means they can't measure your speed, they know you were speeding but are unable to prove it. But knowing that most police cars carry several video cameras they would just show it to a judge and he would ban you for dangerous driving.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Seems by your description that that police in the UK aren't using radar from their police cars as they do here -- or at least not in that instance. In the US the cop being overtaken would just have to use his rearward facing radar and zap you. If you are going 160 MPH odds are even if one "sits" on the brakes the radar will still show an over the limit speed. This assumes that the radar was not already on, in which case your detector should pick it up in time; although at 160 mph you would close the distance pretty fast.

But if you one is going to drive 160 mph on a public highway (believe the Interstate Highways here are the same as your Motorways) one has to accept that he/she might get caught. I would be more worried about an accident as you cannot always know what other drivers will do.

I recall a few years ago driving on one of your Motorways on a Saturday. All the little Morris Minors were on the motorway pulling their campers (the campers in some cases were bigger than the cars). They were even passing each other. I was doing 90 mph and I was closing on them (they must have been doing all of 45 or 50 even when passing each other) so fast that I couldn't believe that I did not hit one. Not used to being able to drive that fast with other traffic driving that slow all at the same time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UK police cars are fitted with video cameras, which are required in court as evidence.

ard said:
That's a good one.

DO YOU REALLY THINK POLICE TELL THE TRUTH?

A cop sees you doing 150 and he'll write you up for 75, and feel totally justified sitting on the witness stand and claiming he followed you for 2 miles and was 100feet from your bumper....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Actually, the law enforcement working highways in the US can use two methods
1-radar gun or
2-they can "pace" you

generally, they will of course use the radar. They can however, "pace" you. A lot of times the new guys..arent allowed a radar gun for their first year..so they have to pace you. They use that method usually for a car flying by at 100mph + when it is obvious a car is speeding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
M5BHP said:
A good friend of mine stumbled across a method of avoiding a ticket the other day. He "accidentally" overtook a police car doing 160mph+ on the motorway (70mph limit), and when he saw the car he slammed the brakes on, pulled over into the hard shoulder and stopped. The police came up and gave a good bo****king, but they couldn't do him for speeding as they need to follow the car for a least a quarter of a mile. So next time the police car catches you unawares. Pull over and stop, you might just keep your licence because of it.
Where abouts did this happen and in what car??

cheers
cherrsagai

1 - 10 of 10 Posts