BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

A vehicle Im looking at (1999 model, 27,000 kilometers) had a BMW technical inspection and they said the following:

"Rattling noises in the first few seconds after starting the engine (VANOS area).

"The VANOS hydraulics cause rattling noises after the engine start due to the varying torque of the camshaft before sufficient VANOS oil pressure has built up.

"This noise has no efffect on the engine's power or durability and is normal."

IS IT normal or am I getting a snow-job?

Thanks and regards, Peter

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Peter,

the symptos you describe indeed are very common, especially among beasts built before 04/2000. If the rattle only appears in the first seconds after firing up the engine, this is nothing to worry about. A friend of mine is SA at our local BMW-dependence and drives an M himself. I asked him about this very symptom, for my beast is showing this, too. He confirmed that this is only a problem of sound-cosmetics, not a problem concerning durability of the engine or even only the vanos units. He told me, that he recently had a customer with a 1999 M5 with more than 250.000 km on the first motor with the first vanos units, and this car made those noises from the first day on.
So if this is the only "problem", go for the car! But first of all try to find out about the announced mileage. Good luck! :byebye:

·
10,458 Posts
while that vanos noise is normal for an early production car, there is a fix for it. In the US this would have been covered under warranty. You'd want the "vanos accumulator kit" which stores oil pressure for the vanos unit supply on start up.
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had vanos rattle at start up for as long as i can remember and have just passed 125,000 miles ........ :wroom:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David and the rest of you guys...thanks a heap. It REALLY helps to know there is such a wealth of knowledge available from people who so obviously love and respect the M5.

Best regards, Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts