BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP did you get the previous version of the 6m cable or the updated version with 4 connectors on one end and one connector on the other? If you got the updated 6m cable which end goes to trunk and which end goes behind head unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi, I'm not certain which version of the wiring harness I have, but it's the one for cars with the original BMW nav. It's a 6-meter one with 4 connectors at one end and one connector at the other - sounds like the one you're asking about. Anyway, the single connector plugs into the largest blue Avant slot in the dash. The other end with the 4 connectors goes into the trunk, and one of the connectors plugs into the wiring harness which originally went to the BMW radio. Each connector goes into only the place it's designed for, so you can't mess that up. One important note: assuming you're running the radio antenna wire along with the harness we're discussing above, triple check which end goes where. It's easy enough: just find the end which plugs into the Avant unit, and that's the dash end. The ends look similar. Hope your installation goes well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the items I am struggling with right now is the radio/AppleCarplay.

Is it possible to listen to the radio with the Apple Carplay connected and displayed? Like using Waze for navigation but listening to the radio? I know in my Volvo with factory Apple CP it's possible. Every time I try to switch to the radio the screen flashes but then it goes back to Apple Carplay and I can't get the radio to be the audio source.

My preference would be to have the radio start automatically and the Apple CP to only connect when I select it, but despite trying to mess with the settings it seems to always connect automatically and take precedence over all other apps.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had the same problem that when touching Radio, it would show radio briefly then switch back to Car Play. I resolved that by going to I-bus App, the wrench, Other settings, and Automatic app start. Select Radio. This will start the radio when starting the car and should resolve your (and my former) problem. Let us know.

Another thing - you mentioned using WAZE - I like it, too. The problem I had until an hour ago was that with CarPlay on and using WAZE on my iPhone, the radio would continue to play, which meant WAZE and the radio were competing with each other on the speakers. I had hoped that I could listen to the radio - or music - along with WAZE and, when WAZE was talking the other music would shut off temporarily and then come back when WAZE went quiet. I'm still looking for that, but in the meantime I have discovered that one can turn off the radio using the large Radio Button, which has an on/off button.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I added fast wireless charging to my car and it works great.
Now you guys are all talking about Avin 4.
Has anyone seen this new 10.25 model?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got eonon in my M3. Never buy this junk again. Very poor sound quality. Super slow and bugging. Ths list goes on. Nothing good about this brand, even customer support.

Will try the AVIN for sure!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Got eonon in my M3. Never buy this junk again. Very poor sound quality. Super slow and bugging. Ths list goes on. Nothing good about this brand, even customer support.

Will try the AVIN for sure!
Avin is overpriced and just a reseller, they don't write any of the software. So when their vendor stops giving them updated images, you're stuck with a buggy, outdated unit. Do some research and get a higher-end (still half of Avin's price), well supported / community supported chinese varant. Something that XDA developers support.

I bought an Avin unit a number of years ago without doing much research. It was slow / buggy from day one, didn't do half of what was promised or did it very poorly. Then 3-4 months later Avin says "sorry, no more updates for your unit" and it's stuck on a super old version of android.

Support was slow to respond, nice, but slow. They did offer to sell a new updated unit for 600ish dollars, but I'll go with a unit that XDA has hacked so I'll always have upgrade choices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had an Avin once, super pricey compared to the competition, one day just died like 3 days out of the one year warranty, shipped it back to china for repairs and came back still broken, like others have said, they all come from the same factory, just buy a cheaper one from the competition and flash it with a custom rom and software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kayotic

Do you have a specific unit to suggest, preferably 10.25 inch screen?
There are a few companies that are selling it right now.
Avin
Xtrons
TOADYAKO
CarExc
Xisedo-autoradio

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think a better link would be

From my understanding looking over the threads, it appears that they don't support speficit units, they support head units based on their processor, PX5.
Maybe someone who has experience flashing ROMs on head units can clarify that.

PX5 is exactly the processor that is used in 10.25 head unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will pay someone $200 if they FaceTime with me right now and help troubleshoot my Avant 4 installation on my 2002 E39 M5 with factory Nav and DSP. Everything is connected properly, but I can’t get sound to play, and I’ve tried everything on these forums and from Avin “Support”. Just tried coding to inaktiv and mid_basis and then turning the car off then on again, no luck.

I am at my wit’s end and desperate and will gladly repay anyone who can help me get this finished once and for all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a great system, I hope to place an order shortly. Few questions for the OP.

It looks like avin is offering a Advanced DSP Chipset with 15 EQ Band. Do you have a sense if that’s a worthwhile upgrade?

I also noticed you didn’t purchase the quadloc extension cable, is it unnecessary?

where did you end up mounting the hands free microphone?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts