BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found my dream E39 M5 a few months ago - it's a delight! Well, except for the nav/radio unit and screen. So, I decided to upgrade. I bypassed the many Chinese units on eBay in favor of the Avin Avant-4 unit and have no regrets. Here's a brief report.

I ordered the unit, wireless backup camera, wireless external TPMS, Apple CarPlay, etc. for my car system which already had BMW nav and DSP amp. It came soon, boxed nicely with a lot of stuff. Their website (www.avinusa.com) shows everything. I used a video showing how to install and wire for my E39. It wasn't perfect, but got the job done. Very helpful was another video in the M3 Forum.

The Avant-4 is impressive. Rather than describe all of it here, just see their website. It fits the E39 dash perfectly, looks like built-in, and works flawlessly. Installation is not easy, but it's very doable to those who like upgrade projects and have some time to get it done.

Unfortunately, the instructions are miserable, and customer support is spotty. Once installed, I had to go to a number of videos and procedures and download and install various apps to get the various options working, but they are working with one important exception - no sound on my car system. That's a biggie, and it's something others have experienced. Hopefully Avin will help me resolve it soon.

Anyway, overall, it's a worthwhile upgrade. My cost with all the bells and whistles was around $850. Certainly not cheap, but it gives a lot.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You need to activate the iBus license so DSP works. Send your VIN to Avin support, and to the iBus devs

If you've done that, you need to set the DSP to mid_basis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my IBUS BMW is active and car unlocked. The DSP amp is set to mid level. Still no sound. Everything else works well. Any additional ideas appreciated,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the EONON system all in with apple carplay for $360 didn't get to do wireless backup camera yet how'd that all go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an avant 2. It broke after a year, sent back for repairs, came back broke. Hope you don't have the same experience, went with an Xtron and its been perfect with a malaysk rom and rezler interface with ibus app.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the EONON system all in with apple carplay for $360 didn't get to do wireless backup camera yet how'd that all go?
How has your experience been with this? Any problems? I am looking at this, and installing a wireless apple carplay adapter. It's definitely cheaper than the Avin unit...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally found my dream E39 M5 a few months ago - it's a delight! Well, except for the nav/radio unit and screen. So, I decided to upgrade. I bypassed the many Chinese units on eBay in favor of the Avin Avant-4 unit and have no regrets. Here's a brief report.

I ordered the unit, wireless backup camera, wireless external TPMS, Apple CarPlay, etc. for my car system which already had BMW nav and DSP amp. It came soon, boxed nicely with a lot of stuff. Their website (www.avinusa.com) shows everything. I used a video showing how to install and wire for my E39. It wasn't perfect, but got the job done. Very helpful was another video in the M3 Forum.

The Avant-4 is impressive. Rather than describe all of it here, just see their website. It fits the E39 dash perfectly, looks like built-in, and works flawlessly. Installation is not easy, but it's very doable to those who like upgrade projects and have some time to get it done.

Unfortunately, the instructions are miserable, and customer support is spotty. Once installed, I had to go to a number of videos and procedures and download and install various apps to get the various options working, but they are working with one important exception - no sound on my car system. That's a biggie, and it's something others have experienced. Hopefully Avin will help me resolve it soon.

Anyway, overall, it's a worthwhile upgrade. My cost with all the bells and whistles was around $850. Certainly not cheap, but it gives a lot.
I’m sorry about the issues you’re having. I’m about to pull the trigger myself on the Avant 4 so please keep us posted. Can I ask you how you ran your cable to the rear as in what path did you take? What was the most difficult part overall?

·
Registered
36 Posts

That seems like a lot. I priced out the Alpine ILX-650, amp, backup camera, and XM receiver for $765 on Crutchfield. Did you ever look at this option?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That seems like a lot. I priced out the Alpine ILX-650, amp, backup camera, and XM receiver for $765 on Crutchfield. Did you ever look at this option?
Looks like crap/blatantly aftermarket installed.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I just got back from a 1.5 hour test drive of the new Avin wireless car play module, and I couldn't be more enthused. This thing (not so much the unit as the concept-- everything on my phone in a simplified interface on my car screen, without having to take my phone out of my pocket... as well as police locations) is everything I have ever wanted out of ICE but never dared to dream would actually exist in the e46.

.... I think I'm going to have to order Avins for the M5 and M3 wagon, as well, now.

I'm working on integrating a Qi charger into the car to complement it, for longer drives. Though, I’m not expecting a ton of battery penalty from it— when I was using wireless carplay in the X3, it used 12% battery over a 50 minute drive. Not bad for a constant GPS connection, constant internet connection, and constant data linking to the car, on a 1.5 year old phone!

Edit: and if the phone is in the car, carplay automatically launches when the head unit boots up-- exactly as I would hope for.

I'm so stupidly stoked about this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got back from a 1.5 hour test drive of the new Avin wireless car play module, and I couldn't be more enthused. This thing (not so much the unit as the concept-- everything on my phone in a simplified interface on my car screen, without having to take my phone out of my pocket... as well as police locations) is everything I have ever wanted out of ICE but never dared to dream would actually exist in the e46.

.... I think I'm going to have to order Avins for the M5 and M3 wagon, as well, now.

I'm working on integrating a Qi charger into the car to complement it, for longer drives. Though, I’m not expecting a ton of battery penalty from it— when I was using wireless carplay in the X3, it used 12% battery over a 50 minute drive. Not bad for a constant GPS connection, constant internet connection, and constant data linking to the car, on a 1.5 year old phone!

Edit: and if the phone is in the car, carplay automatically launches when the head unit boots up-- exactly as I would hope for.

I'm so stupidly stoked about this.
When is this supposed to be available? Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those of you who have DSP and have run the loom from the trunk to behind the unit in the dash - what's the best route? Does it have to go up the passenger side? I've got it up the drivers side to the footwell of the pedals but can't find a space to fit it through so that it comes out where it needs to. Any help/pics much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
well worth it but I want the wireless only thing with wireless is the charging xD
Been playing with the Qi charger design a bit. The final version will be black-- just using white because I don't like it, so use it for parts that'll end up in the trash :p

Charger I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN1R1D1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Matching the shape of the charger test piece:

Installed in the actual shape, charger properly oriented:

Back plate cover with countersunk screw holes:

slot the phone goes into:

back cover attached at 2 of the 9 screw holes:

The entire thing will fit below the lip of the door card (towards the rear), which means it'll be 100% invisible once installed unless you're hovering over the door card looking for it. The taller surface will mount against the outside of the door card, so you'll just slip you hand in and be able to touch most of the phone to remove it.

Net iteration is remove the front bottom, as I realize it serves no purpose in holding the phone and should make getting the phone out easier:

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Those of you who have DSP and have run the loom from the trunk to behind the unit in the dash - what's the best route? Does it have to go up the passenger side? I've got it up the drivers side to the footwell of the pedals but can't find a space to fit it through so that it comes out where it needs to. Any help/pics much appreciated.
Driver side, under the driver seat (where the carpet splits) then up the side of the center console.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on the E39 Avant-4 after one month's use. Basically, it's working great, just like advertised. I have the wireless rear camera which comes on automatically when engaging reverse gear and the tire pressure monitoring system, which wirelessly connects to the valve stem cap modules and constantly shows pressure and temperature. Finally gave up on the OBD module as it didn't routinely connect via Bluetooth - no problem as it wasn't all that useful to me. Wireless Apple CarPlay connects automatically and works just fine - it's neat having much of my iPhone available on the Avant-4 screen. Phone calls, nav, and music work great when my iPhone is connected. Although wireless, I prefer the wired connection for charging, especially when using nav on trips. When not using CarPlay, I have programmed the AM/FM radio to start up automatically upon car start - works just fine.

Regarding routing the wiring to the trunk, I basically followed the BMW DIY Guy's video, of which there is link on the avinusa.com website. This was running the large wire and radio antenna wire through the driver's side dash, down the door trim, along and under the left door sill molding, under the back seat, and through the back seat bulkhead (had to drill a hole). In the trunk the wiring goes under the left side panels and carpet to the electronics compartment.

Bottom line: I am extremely satisfied with the Avant-4 in my E39 M5. Another nice feature: it looks OEM and fits nicely in the dash.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts