BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps, viewed an 07 LCI today to get a benchmark in terms of condition etc. 87k, marching Michelin tyres, newish brakes, battery, SMG pump done within last 20k miles, pretty spotless car and a nice owner. With that being said, I flicked through the v5 and it had 10 previous owners! So I'd be number 12 hypothetically speaking.

As someone who has always been of the persuasion that a low number of owners is extremely important, the chap told me this was common place for m5's. He also said my view point was quite old fashioned (I'm only 29!).

Aside from that, great car and he knew m5s like the back of his hand. Could a handful of you reply with your number of owners to give me an approx average?

Also, does anyone have exact width of car with and without door mirrors, my rs4 fits in my single garage fairly comfortably and it seems as if an e60 would go in.

Thanks, Kristian

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I recently picked up an 06 from an original owner. Here and there I will see high numbers of owners. I typically won't consider it unless it had solid service records.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Second owner of my 2006 and prior to that the car was leased for 4 years to one owner and traded in when the warranty period was over. If I saw 10 previous owners I would be questioning what is wrong with the car...

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is very common for these to have 5-10 owners. A lot of times dealers get factored into that even though it says private owner

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It may be common, but if owners of the "good" cars are holding on to them, i would pass on multiple owner cars.
Plenty of no issue 2 to 3 owner m3 v8 cars to choose from.

If i do not have a top of the class car to sell privately i do a dealer trade in instead, i do not need buyers coming back to me crying about surprises.

For that reason i stay away from dealer sold cars as well. they never are first rate.

Instead I pay top dollar from a private seller with full history evidencing that he did not flinch in doing the best for his baby.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2008 LCI (2007 built) and the first owner was a doctor who knew a thing or two about cars so I was lucky. Personally I would stay away from cars with that many owners because chances are very high that there were people who owned this car and didn't know anything about it and abused it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Playing devil's advocate here. Even if they had it maintained by BMW the whole time, what does that get you? Most people, and especially BMW are in major denial that the rod bearings are an issue. Low owners doesn't guarantee proper warmup or that they didn't beat on the car.

I don't think the throttle body actuators care how many people owned the car.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I am the 2nd owner of my 06.
I purchased it from the original owner (my next door neighbor) in 2012.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2nd owner of an 06 as well

As others have said, can you tell from the carfax if they are all private individuals or maybe some dealers in there? You may also be able to tell from the mileage and new registrations whether each owner was really driving the car vs. sitting in a garage for a year or two

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of your comments guys, appreciate and respect everyone's view. Being UK based Carfax won't be of help, however we might have something similar in the UK. In summary, the car was great and having had 11 owners (including current) will not put all prospective buyers off...however, if I can buy a low owner car from a private individual, I believe it will reduce the likelihood it has been driven badly, revved when cold etc.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Playing devil's advocate here. Even if they had it maintained by BMW the whole time, what does that get you? Most people, and especially BMW are in major denial that the rod bearings are an issue. Low owners doesn't guarantee proper warmup or that they didn't beat on the car.

I don't think the throttle body actuators care how many people owned the car.
If one deserves the “knowledgeable” owner lable one would know that 13,000 mile oil changes is not right for a motor often run to
8,000 rpm.

i had 4 years of free maintenance on my land rover but still changed oil at the halfway point of dealer oil change interval.

To mitigate risk of the first owner not being that smart, the used m5 I chose had a Troy motor installed at the 106,000 mile mark.

It uses no oil and runs strong

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm the 5th Owner, bought it at 73K miles. Car was pretty well taken care of, nothing was really worn, nothing broken, clean inside and out. Had all OEM hardware and replacement parts. Being a California car also helped I suppose. Also did the rod bearings as soon I purchased and the bearings were in decent shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting thread. I am the 3rd owner of a 2010, BUT i kinda feel like the 2nd owner. I say this because, according to the CarFax report I reviewed prior to my purchase, the 1st owner had the car for 5 months - AND put 20,000 miles on the clock before selling it. I purchased it from a Maserati dealer in Florida (because the 2nd owner traded it in). There's many reasons why M5s change hands, and most of the reasons are unknown! If the car looks well maintained, AND you're willing to fix a majority of the issues you cannot see, it's a roll of the dice. Personally, I was looking for a 2010 that was in near-immaculate condition with less than 70,000 miles, located anywhere in the U.S. The number of owners was not really a top consideration, but 11 would probably have stopped me in my tracks! Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I’m the 4th owner of my 2010 with 47k miles (bought it at 37k).

I agree that the # of owners is an important consideration for a lot of reasons. Clearly you want all the documentation supporting the car was well cared for during it’s ownership history.

I personally wouldn’t buy a high # owner car, especially an E60 M5. There is no way with that many owners that you have all the documentation supporting proper maintenance.....and maintenance on this beast is definitely an important factor in it’s reliability. Also, There’s at least a 1 in 10 chance that someone beat it like it owed them money....

For my 1984 Carrera, I’m the 3rd owner. That car could have 20 owners and it wouldn’t really change much in terms of it’s long term reliability, although it would impact resale value for sure. The E60 M5 is a different animal, I’d hang in there for a low # of owners car, they still exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts