BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was curious as to what color combos in your experience warrant the most demand and/or resale value for the M5. I know it is a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of the sport two tone seat interiors, so I would think that it would be harder to sell. I was specifically looking at a black/blk, blk,caramel, or sterling gray/blk.

I did just find a sterling gray with a caramel interior. What do you think about that one and would it be hard to sell with such a rare combo? Do you see any red flags in any of these pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
jlindy said:
I was curious as to what color combos in your experience warrant the most demand and/or resale value for the M5. I know it is a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of the sport two tone seat interiors, so I would think that it would be harder to sell. I was specifically looking at a black/blk, blk,caramel, or sterling gray/blk.

I did just find a sterling gray with a caramel interior. What do you think about that one and would it be hard to sell with such a rare combo? Do you see any red flags in any of these pictures?
I recognize that car as being located at Luxury motors in Downers Grove, IL. I can make a visual inspection of the car for you if you'd like...

PM me or email me at [email protected] if you'd like me to check it out for you...
I don't think there is a "bad" color combination...and I don't have any stats to back me up with regard to color and associated resale values but my opinion is that silver, black and red do somewhat better as they are in somewhat more demand...but I think the lemans blue is really awesome and of course my anthracite M5 is the finest looking car on the road, bar none...<grin>.

--Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I looked for that specific color combo (on an 03) for 4 months... finally gave up. (I saw one that came up on autotrader on a Friday- 2700 miles away- and sold the next day at a dealership).

I like it a lot.

Taste is so individual, it is really hard to say what will affect resale value.

Do take up the offer for the inspection. The outfit in question has a history.

A

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What history does the outfit have? That would greatly help me make a decision as to which direction I want to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My favorite combination!:cool2:

I also searched long and hard for this combination and finally was able to find one. I wanted Sterling Gray but did not want a black interior as I live in Arizona.

In any case, I think you will be happier buying a color combination that you like and not worrying about resale.

Good luck, let us know!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I really don't think that color combos really effect resale values, as others have said it is all about personal preference. When I bought my car it had to have an all black interior (no two tone) exterior color really was not a deciding factor;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do a search on Luxury Motors and you will find a long thread. Bottom line is, some of their cars are fine and some have issues, you need to get an independent inspection and make sure anything needing attention is fixed before you pay.

jlindy said:
What history does the outfit have? That would greatly help me make a decision as to which direction I want to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have always ordered black interior only because of the driver's side floor area.

If you get a light colored carpet, it gets stained easily (obviously) and hard to keep looking nice.

JMHO.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
tranck said:
I have always ordered black interior only because of the driver's side floor area.

If you get a light colored carpet, it gets stained easily (obviously) and hard to keep looking nice.

JMHO.
Buy a spare set of mats for 'dress up days' and rubber mats for winter....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
tranck said:

JMHO.
True...the orginal owner of the car I purchased had black M5 mats installed because of this (I have the caramel ones as well). It looks good because of the black dash and dark alcantra headliner...and hides the dirt!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled a service history, and I have a list of service codes from when the vehicle was serviced per BMW's centernet computer, but I don't know what the heck they mean. Can anyone assist with that?

·
10,455 Posts
KevinM said:
In any case, I think you will be happier buying a color combination that you like and not worrying about resale.

Good luck, let us know!
I agree. I think there is a buyer for every 'normal' color combination, and probably some for the occasional odd bmw individual color.
At any rate, these are depreciating cars, and given all else equal, i do not think one color will be worth more than another...
fwiw, i specifically did want two tone interior, different strokes!
:cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
mottati said:
I agree. I think there is a buyer for every 'normal' color combination, and probably some for the occasional odd bmw individual color.
At any rate, these are depreciating cars, and given all else equal, i do not think one color will be worth more than another...
fwiw, i specifically did want two tone interior, different strokes!
:cheers:
It's just that the guy at luxury told me that the sterling gray with caramel was a rare color combo. He made it seem like it was more in demand than their other cars.

·
10,455 Posts
jlindy said:
It's just that the guy at luxury told me that the sterling gray with caramel was a rare color combo. He made it seem like it was more in demand than their other cars.
Well, i guess if a salesman said it's so, it must be true.... hiha hiha hiha

Here's another link with a rare green/green M5... http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51965
mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
42 Posts
WWW.edmunds.com appraisal does adjust for exterior color combinations... like $150 adjustments.. pretty de minimus. I think its just a personal choice. Some guys love their interiors while others think theyre not too hot.

jlindy said:

·
Registered
184 Posts
jlindy said:
If he was saying that it's more in demand because of its rarity, then I think he's wrong. While in some cases limited supply does increase demand, I don't think that applies here. I don't see prospective M5 buyers choosing a color combo or paying more for it solely because of its scarcity - they choose based on personal preference. There are few enough M5's as it is that I doubt prospective buyers are concerned about getting a common color combo. Not that it's an entirely accurate sample pool with which to gauge demand, but you might want to ask people on this board if they would have bought or preferred that color combo if it had been available when they were purchasing their cars. Personally I wouldn't have even though I think it looks great.

·
Registered
992 Posts
KevinM said:
My favorite combination!:cool2:

I also searched long and hard for this combination and finally was able to find one. I wanted Sterling Gray but did not want a black interior as I live in Arizona.

Good luck, let us know!
Crap! That's the color combination I have - Sterling w/black - and I'm moving to AZ!

Guess I will have to keep it in the garage and not parked out in the sun...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SCORPIO said:
Crap! That's the color combination I have - Sterling w/black - and I'm moving to AZ!

Guess I will have to keep it in the garage and not parked out in the sun...
I will take it off your hands. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts