BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The question s:s What does it do and when does it do it?
I don't think mine is working and I would like to know what it does before I change it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
kevinpayneuk said:
Not sure when it kicks in but the ETK lists it for cars fitted with Air Conditioning
It assists the pumping of coolant/hot water through to the passenger compartment, and it should run when the ignition is at stage two.

Apparently if it fails you wont get hot air through your vents etc.

I had mine replaced as a result of a small leak, costing around £130 or so...

·
Registered
687 Posts
ilundber said:
The question s:s What does it do and when does it do it?
I don't think mine is working and I would like to know what it does before I change it.
Dont know how you can check if its working..
But if you need a replacement, i took mine out as a part of the trackcar conversion, so no need for you to buy one from the dealer, you can have mine for free if you want it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanky you, Donati. That is very kind of you. I'll just check and see if I can find out if it is working before I start replacing it. I'll have a look at it during the weekend.

It goes without saying that I will pay for any transportation ('guess that's why I had to say the obvious ;-) )

Regards

·
Registered
757 Posts
ilundber said:
Thanky you, Donati. That is very kind of you. I'll just check and see if I can find out if it is working before I start replacing it. I'll have a look at it during the weekend.

It goes without saying that I will pay for any transportation ('guess that's why I had to say the obvious ;-) )

Regards
With the ignition on stage two, bonnet open, you can hear the pump buzzing away, under the heater valves.

·
Registered
757 Posts
ilundber said:
Well, it is as silent as in a grave. Not a sound!

Donati, you have a mail.

/Ilundber
Check the fuse and I think one of the small relays in the mian fuse box, (located close by the pump in question) does the pump.

Just a side note, I seem to remember that when I pulled the fuse/relay and then re-inserted the pump did not start running again, I had to turn the ignition off and then back on again first.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plisken,
All fuses are OK. I just checked them.
Would you happen to remeber which relay it is? I could use the correct location. :blabla:
Thank you.

·
Registered
757 Posts
ilundber said:
Plisken,
All fuses are OK. I just checked them.
Would you happen to remeber which relay it is? I could use the correct location. :blabla:
Thank you.
I'll try and describe this as best I can...

If you are looking at the fuse box (under bonnet, next to heating control valves), you will see a row of fuses, various relays and a couple of control modules.

Look at the box with the fuses running along the top of the box in front of you, now ignoring the modules at the bottom, and also ther larger relays, you are only interested here in the small rectangular shaped ones, of which there are four, two at the left hand side and two at the right hand side. It is the ones at the right hand side that interest you here and the top one at that. The one below that is the horn relay.

Now it might be that the horn relay is the same type, possibly swapping over could give you some form of indication. I think the two relays at the other side are different.

Good Luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for the information, Plisken. I'll check it out. It would be far easier to change the relay rather than the water pump :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I have swapped the relays and checked the fuses. The fuses are OK and the swap of the relay did nothing to approve the situation.
Conclusion: The water pump is broke.
Luckely for me, Santa is alive ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts