BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I brought my car to my trusted shop last week for a few things.

1. Aux install. Since I now have a Beats music subscription, this went to a "must-have" status. To maintain the stock appearance of my car, I wanted a stealth install. I also like the the aux jack location on my M coupe, as you cannot see it. The shop mounted the jack in the cubby hole under the armrest - perfect! So cool to be able to stream whatever music I want.

2. Driver's door creak. As documented by many threads on the board, this is a common problem and it had finally affected me. After reading numerous threads, I dutifully applied the appropriate expensive proprietary German lubricant to the door seals, and cleaned/sealed all of the painted areas of the door jams. Still the doors creaked. So I asked my shop to replace the door seals. The owner asked if the noise went away if the driver's door window was lowered 1 mm. This actually did make the noise go away. So the shop just cleaned the window seals (not the door seals) and the noise went completely away (cost: $0).

3. I had my leather person clean and condition the leather while it was at the shop.

I threw a coat of Zaino on today as well. Every time I even think of selling the car, I have a day like today. What a car. I guess when I buy my next car (tentatively an F80 M3 next year) the SUV will have to stay outside!

P.S. The wine photo is old but I could not resist. Great Syrah blend. Apologies for the messy garage - we just purchased a home for my in-laws and are still moving them in...this board has given me inspiration for a garage update that I hope to undertake this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing, I have the exact color combination. How did you manage to keep the leather soooo clean? was it re-dyed at some point?
When I bought the car Dec 2004 it was in perfect shape except the door-side driver's side bolster had some wear after 20K miles from the previous owner. I tried to dye it a few times and then gave up and had the bolster leather replaced. The rest of the leather was perfect, so I just clean it three times a year and have done the whole Leatherique-type deal twice over the past 10 years. When the driver's seat is really deep-cleaned, you can see a few whitish cracks on the seat cushion - I have those touched up about once per year.

Oh, the other "secret" is getting in and out of the car carefully!:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
thanks for keeping the car clean.. extra clean
thanks for keeping your wood trim :)

Reactions: KevinM

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lookin' mighty sharp!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Looks like Catalina Foothills area? I used to live there, loved the view. Car looks gorgeous. Nice garage too with the Z4M. Best of both worlds, highway cruiser and a nimble car fun to toss around :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Superb color combination. I wish my steering wheel was in the shape yours is. Also seeing this makes me wish I had gone with caramel interior with my Sterling Gray...

Actually - I wish the E39's came with Cinnamon like the E46 M3's did.

Sterling + Cinnamon would be rad.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fine taste in vehicles...I have the M5 and a z3 m coupe!
Sweet, I see you have an S54 variant as well - very rare. Post up some pictures!

thanks for keeping the car clean.. extra clean
thanks for keeping your wood trim :)
Thanks. I wanted the sterling gray/caramel combination and of course it only came with wood. I've grown to appreciate it - it just seems "right" for this combination.

Looks like Catalina Foothills area? I used to live there, loved the view. Car looks gorgeous. Nice garage too with the Z4M. Best of both worlds, highway cruiser and a nimble car fun to toss around :)
Thanks! Yes, Catalina Foothills - I love the view too.

What was required for the aux plug?
For the easiest install, you need a BM53 radio modules (production dates 9/2002 and newer). Then it is a question of just wiring the aux cable in in and putting the jack where you want it. There are ways to do with with earlier radios (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...12-aux-input-added-my-pre-2003-m5-iphone.html) but I didn't explore as I have the later radio.

Superb color combination. I wish my steering wheel was in the shape yours is. Also seeing this makes me wish I had gone with caramel interior with my Sterling Gray...

Agreed - cinnamon interiors are fantastic! Some of the individual options on the F8X M3/M4 are similar; I hope BMW will make one of them a regular option (or bring back cinnamon!).

Kevin, please discuss your exhaust. It looks stock but chrome dipped?
Uber clean ride d00d.
Zaino ftw.
No, completely stock. But VERY clean.;)

Agree about Zaino - and I've lost count of how many products I've tried...

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish my steering wheel was in the shape yours is. Also seeing this makes me wish I had gone with caramel interior with my Sterling Gray...
Forgot to address this. My buddy (the owner of the shop I take the car to) gave me a new steering wheel as a Christmas gift 2 years ago. He had been making noises that I should replace mine, but I thought not. Yes, it was a (tiny) bit shiny from 10+ years of use but in excellent shape. Well, after I put the new one on i regretted not doing it sooner. The steering wheel is our main interface with the car, and I had forgotten what the wheel felt like when I picked the car up years ago. If you are on the fence, do it!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Forgot to address this. My buddy (the owner of the shop I take the car to) gave me a new steering wheel as a Christmas gift 2 years ago. He had been making noises that I should replace mine, but I thought not. Yes, it was a (tiny) bit shiny from 10+ years of use but in excellent shape. Well, after I put the new one on i regretted not doing it sooner. The steering wheel is our main interface with the car, and I had forgotten what the wheel felt like when I picked the car up years ago. If you are on the fence, do it!!
I'm debating an Alcantara wheel from Colby Wheel E39-46 M Sport Steering Wheel

I'm nervous about the wear that material can exhibit. I do think it would be a really nice experience, though, and the price is right!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts

Used to live there, too. Miss it a lot, thinking there's a winter home there in the future...

Great pics, love the color combo!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Below are the BMW Individual leather colors I'm considering for the F80 M3: Amaro Brown and Gold Brown. Hopefully by the time I order next year one of them will be a standard color (currently an extra $2300).

I'm debating an Alcantara wheel from Colby Wheel E39-46 M Sport Steering Wheel

I'm nervous about the wear that material can exhibit. I do think it would be a really nice experience, though, and the price is right!
Looks good. The alcantara will wear where you put your hands, so either consider it a "patina" or plan on recovering it in a few years. Feels so good though...

Used to live there, too. Miss it a lot, thinking there's a winter home there in the future...

Great pics, love the color combo!
Thanks, great place for a winter home!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts