BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i switch to tv one of the channels is AUX. is there an input where i could play an ipod through without the intravee or comparable?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
when i switch to tv one of the channels is AUX. is there an input where i could play an ipod through without the intravee or comparable?
Not in an '01 unless you have upgraded your radio. Square pin = aux input, round pins = no aux input. Further, if you want this aux input in the front of the car (which is the only place it would be useful), you'll also need to upgrade the wiring harness from the trunk to your dash.

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
On the radio itself in your trunk. Look at the wiring harness. If it has 17 round pins, you have an old radio. If it has square connectors then you have a newer radio unit...

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
so ill check that. if i do have the aux will i be able to play an ipod through there?
IF you have square pins then your radio has aux capability. You would still need the appropriate wiring harness to be able to use it up front, and the only way to check that is to pull the radio...

d-

·
Registered
836 Posts
if you do have the newer radio, an auxiliary audio input kit (part no 82 11 9 149 391) can be purchased which includes an auxiliary input cable that can connect to an ipod in your glove compartment. the part costs around $30 and requires removal of the navi, where a 3-pin connector may be found ( i think this connects to the square pins baker is referring to).

note using the ipod in this fashion will only allow control of the ipod through the ipod itself & not allow control of the ipod through the navi, unlike the intravee/dice systems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
On the radio itself in your trunk. Look at the wiring harness. If it has 17 round pins, you have an old radio. If it has square connectors then you have a newer radio unit...

d-
Hopefully vaguely on topic of the thread - when looking in the boot where the ICE is - which of the anonymous silver boxes is the radio and which is the TV?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the topic starter is looking for this kind of thing http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/bmw_pd_tvim_av_staud.html since he is referring to the TV module and the fact that there is an 'aux' channel available.

The aux sound input is a different thing imho. On the other hand, for Ipod/Intravee purposes this is the one you are looking for. The aux in the TV module is for DVD players and things like that. So a little mix-up I guess ;-)

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hopefully vaguely on topic of the thread - when looking in the boot where the ICE is - which of the anonymous silver boxes is the radio and which is the TV?
The box that is perpendicular to your amplifier and parallel to your taillights is your radio. The other one is the tv, or possibly the bluetooth :)

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Oops, good point - I skimmed over the part where he referred to the TV, and just saw the request for ipod audio input.

OP - you have an aux audio input, which is mono I believe, in the trunk as part of your tv module...

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
if you do have the newer radio, an auxiliary audio input kit (part no 82 11 9 149 391) can be purchased which includes an auxiliary input cable that can connect to an ipod in your glove compartment. the part costs around $30 and requires removal of the navi, where a 3-pin connector may be found ( i think this connects to the square pins baker is referring to).

note using the ipod in this fashion will only allow control of the ipod through the ipod itself & not allow control of the ipod through the navi, unlike the intravee/dice systems.
You missed the part where he also needs to upgrade his wiring harness. He has an '01 (vs. your '03) and it didn't come pre-wired...

d-

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the topic starter is looking for this kind of thing http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/bmw_pd_tvim_av_staud.html since he is referring to the TV module and the fact that there is an 'aux' channel available.

The aux sound input is a different thing imho. On the other hand, for Ipod/Intravee purposes this is the one you are looking for. The aux in the TV module is for DVD players and things like that. So a little mix-up I guess ;-)
You are quite right. The AUX input is a selectable input on the TV module and is easy to wire into (see post 13 on this thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99462 ) It is mono however so you are better off with a CD changer parallel lead combined with TV in Motion from ToysInYourCar.com. This way you get stereo audio through the AUX input AND you can watch DVDs through it with Stereo sound.

Have a look at http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/BMW.html as there is a fair amount of choice on how you can set it up. http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalo..._av_staud.html. The only 'complicated' bit is running the phono & switch lead down the length of the car but if you're reasonably adept, there is actually trunking down either side so it's just a simple bit of trim removal.

The wiring is child's play.....

The TV in motion is just plug & play and actually increases the normal controls you have of the TV, including channel switching on the steering wheel.

The Stereo Audio lead is plug & play apart from the switched 12V.......

I found the Purple & white cable on multiway going into the Radio/TV module is 12V ignition controlled. On my car at least that's the box with the ariel leads going into it - closest to the back of the car on LHS as you stand looking into the boot. I tapped off it for 'remote' power supply for a bass box amp. (high current power comes off big connection block on RHS of boot obviously...!)

Operation is easy. For just audio you just select the CD player as you would normally. The audio you then hear comes from the MP3 player instead. If you want video too, you select the AV i/p on the TV & then hold down the 'autoreverse' button for a few seconds. A quirk in the system then makes the TV change it's audio source. You end up with the TV pic & CD audio, so you can have stereo sound from a DVD/Video iPod.

Apologies if I've just complicated things, but you can do a lot with these things without much effort!

Barney.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts