BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a BMW Aux input cable to allow me to use my iPod in my car. The car is a 2003 Dinan S2 M5 with nav. I pulled the display out and connected the Aux input cable to the connector on the harness, and gave it a test. It works, but the volume is very low compared to the radio or CD changer, to the point that it won't be loud enough with the windows open (the iPod has the volume all the way up). Has anyone had experience with this upgrade that may , or does anyone know how to fix the low volume problem?

- Aaron

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
whattheheck posted regarding an inline amplifier that may be applicable here too. The best option IMHO is to remove your CD changer and replace it with the intravee II (bimmernav sell them), alpine KCA 420 (or similar). Get ibus control of ipod and display on monitor, volume no problem too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I'll check that out. My concern in removing the CD changer is that it provides the best audio quality right now, since I am using a cassette adapter to play my iPod through the stereo. If I can be sure trhat I will have digital music quality I will do it, and the controls would be nice to have also! Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
108 Posts
since I am using a cassette adapter to play my iPod through the stereo.
I'm a little confused here. Your iPod should be connected to the mini stereo plug in the glove box, using the AUX mode on the monitor, not to a cassette adapter using the TAPE mode. You should not need a line driver using the AUX setting.

-D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iPod connection

I have been using the cassette adapter to connect my iPod, and am attempting to now use the Aux cable and Aux input to achieve improved audio quality. The proble is the low volume level of the iPod playing through the Aux input. It is significantly lower than the CD changer, radio, or cassette tape volume level, even with the iPod turned all the way up. That is the problem I am trying to solve.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
switch to aux input

then press 1-6 where 1 is ultra low volume and 6 is as loud as it will get. IIRC it was set at 3 from the factory. 4-5 is satisfactory. I too was at first disappointed till I realized the input volume was adjustable- NICE! I've since moved to dice but use the aux input for my dvd player audio.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volume adjustment

Thanks!! I'll try that tonight, and just in time because I was hoping to use the iPod with Aux for a little road trip tomorrow! BTW - you mentioned that you have moved to "dice" - what is that? - Aaron

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Dice replaces the cd changer, but allows steering wheel and head unit controls to move from track to track in your ipod. it also displays the song tracks in your pixel display below the speedo or nav head unit.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
search for Dice :) or check out one of our sponsors here.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
considering upgrading to Intravee....

too many other upgrades ahead of it LOL

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
$35-45 depending upon $tealership.

Note- it only works on M5's with build dates of 9.2002 or newer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been using the cassette adapter to connect my iPod, and am attempting to now use the Aux cable and Aux input to achieve improved audio quality. The proble is the low volume level of the iPod playing through the Aux input. It is significantly lower than the CD changer, radio, or cassette tape volume level, even with the iPod turned all the way up. That is the problem I am trying to solve.
I'm assuming your using the ipods headphone jack? If so- theres your problem. No matter what you do it will sound quiet and crappy.

The solution, if you don't want to pay for the DICE unit (which is very nice by the way) is to use the line-out of the ipods dock connector located on the bottom of the device.

Check sik.com for something called the "sik imp". or find it on amazon also. (under $30)

This device and others like it provides a line level output without amplification for a headset, so the audio is much cleaner and honestly about 35% louder. This one has a cigarette lighter to keep the battery topped up also. The DICE is a glorified version of this basic concept that basically does everything the same as the sik imp but adds steering wheel control and track info on the ibus displays. I used this for 2 years in a car of mine, in conjunction with a proclip ipod mount, and it was the perfect budget ipod holder/ input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I settled on a solution...

Thanks to all for you knowledgeable input to my original question. This si a great board for finding answers! So I just ordered an Intravee II and KCA-420i to solve my problem... I'll let you know how it is once I have a chance to install it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Intravee II solution

I received and installed the Interavee II and Alpine bus converter. It was a 30 minute install, and worked right out of the box. The quality is good, though I had to tweak my DSP since the bass was cranked up so much... I need to spend some time learning the functions and limitations though... For example, I have already discovered that the Alpine converter limits your searching for songs to the first 255 songs in a playlist. Kind of a hassle if you have 500+ CDs as I do. Not sure how to get past this yet - if anyone knows, please share! I'll have more time to play with the controls tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find. BTW - does anyone know where I can get a decent user manual for the Intravee II? It came with no documentation, and it's use with the Alpine adapter is a lucky guess as to how and why.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why do you need the Alpine bus convertor? I read on the bimmernav sight you need a cable but if the car has digital output you can upgrade the BMW radio to get around DSP digital output? Is the Alpine an alternate to changing the radio?

Does the unit shuffle all songs?

I received and installed the Interavee II and Alpine bus converter. It was a 30 minute install, and worked right out of the box. The quality is good, though I had to tweak my DSP since the bass was cranked up so much... I need to spend some time learning the functions and limitations though... For example, I have already discovered that the Alpine converter limits your searching for songs to the first 255 songs in a playlist. Kind of a hassle if you have 500+ CDs as I do. Not sure how to get past this yet - if anyone knows, please share! I'll have more time to play with the controls tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find. BTW - does anyone know where I can get a decent user manual for the Intravee II? It came with no documentation, and it's use with the Alpine adapter is a lucky guess as to how and why.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Aaron,

Join the forum on the Intravention site. You need to send a email to Richard over there with your serial number. Once Richard sets you up you can get into the owners side of the site. There has been some talk about solutions to the playlist issue. I am trying to figure it out too. If you find a solution PM me, please. I will do the same.

I went through my library and took some stuff off that i never listen too. But when I put it back into my car it still would only go to albums in the "R's" just like it did before I took a bunch of music off it. It should now see everything. I think it has to do with the cache in the Alpine unit. I have unplugged it for about 30 mins and plugged it back in but it hasn't changed. If anyone has any suggestions on this one I would apprecite it!

I have posted this to the Intervention web site but I haven't received an answer yet. Their forum is good for finding info, but they do not tend to respond very quickly.

Another thing is that the ipod will go to sleep if you don't use it for 16 hours (or something like that). A easy solution that is working for me is to set up two meeting requests in Outlook and sync it with your ipod. The meetings will send a reminder to the ipod screen waking it up. So if it stays awake by having a reminder pop up every 12 hours you wont have to reboot the ipod.

This is a great product. Once you learn it you will love it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts