BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of cable does the aux input use? I thought it was a regular single-prong headphone-type plug, but my dealer said it was a special 5-prong thing? :confused2 What kind of cable do I need?

·
Registered
540 Posts
meener said:
What kind of cable does the aux input use? I thought it was a regular single-prong headphone-type plug, but my dealer said it was a special 5-prong thing? :confused2 What kind of cable do I need?
I believe you are both right. The end that plugs into the spare input behind the Nav head is more than likely what the dealer is referring to. It is a "clip" type connection. The female (receiving end) for your MP3 or other device is a single mini jack plug. I assume you have a 2003 model year as this is the only year the M5 came with a spare aux input connection.

Good luck

al

·
10,455 Posts
If you already have the aux input kit installed (they didn't come from the factory on 03's did they?) you'd use the headphone style jack.

When i added the aux input, it was actually a 3 wire deal that plugged into unused terminals on the radio harness, in the trunk. I haven't actually used it yet, but i do get "AUX" as one of the modes on my nav screen, so i'm assuming i've wired it up correctly.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts