BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience this? 2001 M5, sitting at a stoplight, I can hear the aux fan (I assume) spinning up, then down, then up, then down, etc., until I drive away. Is this normal? Should I be worried? The aux fan itself was replaced last year before I bought the car. Maybe a loose connection?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Yes, that's normal. Sounds like you have a noisy fan even though it's new. I got a new OEM fan a while back because I realized mine hadn't been working since I got the car, so I had no idea what is should sound like. The new one was horrendously noisy, like a jet engine, quite embarrassing. I ended up pulling the fuse and running without it. I suspect the fan blade design or manufacture is not as good as the original

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not unusual for the aux fan to start spinning if you're sitting at the lights as the engine obviously runs hotter without any air flow, once the fan has dropped the temp it should stop again

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nothing to worry about. My car does this all the time. I wouldn't say mine is really very loud though. It's noticeable but bothersome.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I need to replace mine soon, so currently no noise for me, but sucks having no cool air when in slow traffic :(

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My diesel rattling is REALLY loud so I cannot hear anything spinning like aux fan. I've seen people's face thinking its a diesel and then see M5 badge.

Reactions: Wishin4anM5
1 - 8 of 8 Posts