BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi,

I'm a newbie at detailing,my car is at the paintshop right now and i wanna protect the paint from the word go coz its windy and very hot here,could you suggest the complete detailing set i can order on ebay or put together a detailing kit ad ship to me,thanks.

NB:Im in Botswana,Africa

·
Registered
206 Posts
@lehsmann - it would be best for you to talk to your painter. Some don't recommend doing anything to new paint for several months. It depends on the paint & curing processes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good info I always come to these parts of the forums and they are generally loaded with info but sometimes too much.
What do you recommend for someone that has never held an orbital buffer and wants to be able to detail themselves? I have heard the Griots is the best for beginners but I am looking for info and any is appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
I too, want to get to the point I can detail my own car but am definitely not there yet. Right now I stick with a 2 bucket method hand wash, Sonax yellow wheel cleaner, and meguiars clay and carnuba wax (all done by hand).

Depending on who you ask and what they do to their car (compound, compound and wax, compound and seal, etc) you will likely get a different answer along with a different recommendation of products and tools. I have been checking out the videos on //DRIVE CLEAN (/DRIVE Network • Posts Tagged ‘drive clean’), they seem to be a really good resource for information and are helping me narrow down what I want/need to do to my various cars. They have videos on buffers, techniques, waxing, compounding, etc.

My plan is to do a lot of research, pick the right tools and products for what I want to accomplish, and practice techniques on my DD before tackling the M5. Hope you find some of the //DRIVE CLEAN information useful!

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Fation Syla,

Would you mind checking out pics of my car?
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/detailing-forum/445737-my-first-m5-could-use-some-detailing-advice.html

I just purchased this about 2-months ago. Mechanically she is in fantastic condition, but there are some areas to improve upon the paint. I'll have free weekend or two starting mid-June where I can dedicate the time required that she deserves.

There are some scratches, road rash and I believe some hard water staining. I was thinking about picking up the Dr. ColorChip system as well.

I would really appreciate any advice and insights you could offer!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts