1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
6.5 second gear shifts?!? Automobile online needs to double check for typos. Yet another glowing review, though.. :cheers:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here's the scanned first drive article from the November issue of Automobile magazine. I can't host this for long, so if someone else would like to host, please do so.

http://www.steele-family.net/html/automobile_m5.html

Richard

P.S. I set up the scanned article to display well on my large format monitor. I now realize that the format is too large for easy viewing on a 1024x768 monitor. My apologies. I'll try to remedy that, if I have time.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Great article, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My bet is that the fuel consumption of the E60 will be fairly close to that of the E39 M5 when driven conservatively. However, I also bet it will gulp fuel at record M rates when pushed hard as you don't get all of that power for nothing.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
When I drive my E39 M5 hard, I will see 10-11 MPG. Im sure it was in P500 and Im sure they were driving it hard. Out of all the things you could criticize, I don't think the fuel economy is really one.

Btw- Just wait 10 years or so for BMWs version of a hybrid. They are experimenting with a system that uses an electric motor to boost power- kind of like an instant on turbocharger. By then the weight penalty won't be too bad, so you will be wasting less energy and therefore will have more power with the same energy= more efficiency.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That review gets me pretty excited. The engine is a 'masterpiece', the steering is 'lively and soulful', the handling is 'sublime and unambiguous', car is 'intuitive, and involves it's driver every step of the way', 'strong on the brake and energetic on the throttle, and never forgets to generate feel and feedback'.

If the gas mileage and Idrive are the main complaints - they have done one heck of a job.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I happened to reset the car's MPG gauge before we started the M5 driving experience.. after all the tests and the mini autocross.. 6 MPG. mmmmmm
It's a performance car.. it's going to guzzle gas. Cheers!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alpha43 said:
Hmmm... is the 10mpg observed with the p500 program or p400. And does anyone know if there is a difference in mpg in each program?
The article stated that the car was pushed hard 90% of the time in P500 mode. I doubt that many of us will be able to push the car hard nearly that often. It has such huge performance bandwidth, most of us will have the hair standing up on our arns using 50% of it's potential 25% of the time. The point being, fuel consumption will be better for most of us, most of the time.

:noSMG: simmikie

·
Registered
40 Posts
9852147 said:
look at that...

mph in gear

5: 155mph
6: 155mph
7: 155mph

that is nice :1:
to me, that just looks like they really don't need 7 gears =\
I thought they wanted 7 gears to get more overlap in each gear; not to obtain a higher max speed =\

·
Registered
369 Posts
AlphaLead said:
to me, that just looks like they really don't need 7 gears =\
I thought they wanted 7 gears to get more overlap in each gear; not to obtain a higher max speed =\
that means, that the car has many available gear ratios at higher speeds... so if you delimit the car, it goes 205mph according to bmw and then it starts to make sense...

·
Registered
369 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
When I drive my E39 M5 hard, I will see 10-11 MPG. Im sure it was in P500 and Im sure they were driving it hard. Out of all the things you could criticize, I don't think the fuel economy is really one.

Btw- Just wait 10 years or so for BMWs version of a hybrid. They are experimenting with a system that uses an electric motor to boost power- kind of like an instant on turbocharger. By then the weight penalty won't be too bad, so you will be wasting less energy and therefore will have more power with the same energy= more efficiency.
i read an article on this new hybrid technology. this system gives you about 1000Nm extra for some seconds (maybe 10-15s). that must be an incredible boost...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts