BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm still thinking about changing the rear diff ratio from 3.62 into 3.91. But after careful reading the Dinan's info I just realised I could have one problem after the upgrade.
I red that after installation of the 3.91 LSD, the gearbox doesn't switch automatically at redline into upper gear in case of flooring the gas pedal down in D mode. In this case it is necesarry to shift manually. And this is not a big problem for me, while since some time I'm only driving in S-mode, but....I have an european version of the car with the fully operating LC, which means that the car shifts automatically on every gear when it comes to the redline. And I'm affraid with the LSD modified I could lose this option..
What do you guys think??

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Smok said:
Hi
I'm still thinking about changing the rear diff ratio from 3.62 into 3.91. But after careful reading the Dinan's info I just realised I could have one problem after the upgrade.
I red that after installation of the 3.91 LSD, the gearbox doesn't switch automatically at redline into upper gear in case of flooring the gas pedal down in D mode. In this case it is necesarry to shift manually. And this is not a big problem for me, while since some time I'm only driving in S-mode, but....I have an european version of the car with the fully operating LC, which means that the car shifts automatically on every gear when it comes to the redline. And I'm affraid with the LSD modified I could lose this option..
What do you guys think??
Call Dinan - they should be able to give you the information.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Any word on a fix on this from them? And are you guys with the diff still hearing the whining noise?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
yeah i got the whine.it wasnt that bad at first and i said i could live with it but it seems like its getting worse and i think im feeling vibrations like the gears are grinding or something.

edit:i should also add i was one of the first people to get it and i payed no attn to breakin...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was one of the first also, paid careful attention to break-in, and no whining whatsoever. I've driven the car a over 10,000 miles since the diff install, including some very hard driving.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Dinan chip. Correction of the auto-shift problem, higher rev limiter, and some extra HP along with maintaining the warranty and free reflashes will make this chip worth the $'s to me.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
LI-M5 said:
edit:i should also add i was one of the first people to get it and i payed no attn to breakin...
Yikes! The diff is one of the most important parts of the car to break-in properly! Both the LSD plates and especially the bevel gears require a careful and proper break-in if any sort of decent life is to be expected out of them. The 1200 mile diff oil change is a must too.

Here's a link to a typical break-in regiment for a new LSD diff.

Chuck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dinan's answer

Hi. Short info. I asked dinan guys about the shifting problem and their answer was : "yes, you are correct". SO it means, that the Lanch Control will be fully operational after the software upgrade, which is supposed to be ready within next 60 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts