BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just got my 2002 M5 and I'm working through all the little things trying to get the car back into shape.

One question is around the automatic headlights. When I turn the setting to (A), my Dash and Interior lights stay on, as to the Halo rings and the rear tail lights.

I expected that the lights would shut off when the car is turned off, but I've watched and they stay on for a few minutes.

I read that leaving the fog light on could cause this problem, but turning the fog lights on or off have no effect.

What systems affect the Automatic lights? Could there be a sensor problem elsewhere?

Most everything in the car works great, and with Winter coming I'd love to have this feature working.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hello everyone! Just got my 2002 M5 and I'm working through all the little things trying to get the car back into shape.

One question is around the automatic headlights. When I turn the setting to (A), my Dash and Interior lights stay on, as to the Halo rings and the rear tail lights.

I expected that the lights would shut off when the car is turned off, but I've watched and they stay on for a few minutes.

I read that leaving the fog light on could cause this problem, but turning the fog lights on or off have no effect.

What systems affect the Automatic lights? Could there be a sensor problem elsewhere?

Most everything in the car works great, and with Winter coming I'd love to have this feature working.

Thanks everyone!
Check to see if the "Home Lights" are coded to "On" and if so, to what is the duration set.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You will need GT1 (DIS v47), SSS/Progman, PA Soft, a trip to the stealership or the like. It is in the Car / Key memory settings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reposting here on the advice of another member.

Basically - whether I put the system into "A" mode or normally on, it behaves exactly the same. There is no auto on-or-off feature.

Thanks everyone!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks! Someone else had mentioned that. I see on Pelican Parts a "Control Module - Basic Module 3 (61-35-6-942-047)" and a "Check Control Module (61-35-6-961-141)" - what's the difference?

Also - these things seem pretty pricey. I don't mind spending the money, but is there any sort of test I can do first to make sure it's bad?

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Part 2 here
RealOEM.com Â* BMW E39 M5 BODY CONTROL UNITS AND MODULS
Yes you have the correct one and they are expensive. They can be sent out for repair, used ones can be had easily. A member here has a reuse parts service (wrecker is just to crude for his service). Search Clemster.
If you go and get the body codes read, not the engine codes. A cheap code reader won't likely do it but any pro series code reader will, often places like NAPA will do it for free, any big chain parts store. Get the description too and post that info and we should be able to tell what is up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts