BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an autocross for the first time ever today and of course took the M5. It was an absolute blast. It certainly isn't the most competitive car out there but my twin brother and I managed to take 1st and 2nd place out of the 9 cars in the Novice Stock car class. Many people there quite liked the car and ogled over the pretty interior. Of the other people that rode in it, they were all absolutely amazed at the torque that the M5 has coming out of corners. Several people were also impressed by how well it handled considering it is very heavy.

It was also interesting to note that our stock e39 M5 was in the same class as my friend's 02 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor.

Who else on here has auto crossed their M5?

Here is a pic of my brother coming in pretty hot on the ridiculous fast final turn ~ 60mph.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I have, and it's tons of fun in a low risk environment. Can you say OVERSTEER!! hiha

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done a couple of events on a very small tight track, and even though I was destroyed by more experienced autocrossers in $500 integras and the like, I had a really good time! I hope to do some more events in the future... especially once I've got some better tires. Good on ya bringing the beast to the track!

·
Registered
554 Posts
and even though I was destroyed by more experienced autocrossers in $500 integras and the like
hahahaha... this would be me. :blabla: Once I finally get around to installing my SS lines and fluid swap I'm getting out there. Or maybe I'll at least wait until it cools down. AutoX in 100deg+ is not my idea of a good time, irrespective of any toll on the car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have, and it's tons of fun in a low risk environment. Can you say OVERSTEER!! hiha
Both oversteer and understeer! It is so easy to gracefully get the back end out on this car but it is also easy to plow straight forward if you have too much speed. My tires might have had something to do with that.

How'd the brakes hold up?
What tires ya running?
Did you incur any codes by days end?

Good times...more pics.
The brakes are stock and they held up well. They got very hot. This particular track didn't require a ton of braking but the stop zone coming quickly down from 60mph could be a bit sketchy. I once made the pedal go to the floor because the ABS somehow got very unhappy.

I was trying to destroy the summer tires that I have for my winter rims. I had Michelin Pilot Sport 245 45 R17 tires on the front and the back Hankook Ventus V12 255 40 R17. Fronts pumped to 45psi and rear to 38psi. I had lots of fun spinning the tires.

I did not incur any codes at all and actually I think the car runs better now. It doesn't squeak or rattle really at all now, of which it did a lot before hand, especially the suspension that squeaked every time I hit a bump.

Just today I was talking to a coworker who's son road with me during the autocross. His son was super impressed with the way our M5 pulled, he said it was the only car that he though pulled harder then his Cobb stage 3 tuned Subaru of some sort. Apparently it pulled better then the brand new 5.0 Mustang that was at the track.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Apparently it pulled better then the brand new 5.0 Mustang that was at the track.
A fellow in-town board member was telling me the other day he smoked a new 5.0, which I thought made no sense and that he must have just been a much better driver... but maybe there's something to it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A fellow in-town board member was telling me the other day he smoked a new 5.0, which I thought made no sense and that he must have just been a much better driver... but maybe there's something to it!
The 5.0 Mustang that was at the Auto cross seemed to be all noise but no go. It was so freaking loud that a lot of people complained that they missed their own shifts due to not being able to hear their engine over the Mustang.

I don't know how it could be slower then an e39 M5. The new 5.0 Mustang is more powerful, has more torque, and weighs less. It comes with a 6 speed manual. Maybe the suspension setup just doesn't allow it to get it's power to the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts