Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up a copy - November 2nd issue, page 24:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well that is a shame.

"The Timing Chain need replacing at 100k miles" myth from the E30 M3 seems to have crossed over to the E34 M5.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That has to be about the crappest bit of research I've ever seen! How have they managed to get so much wrong in such a short piece. Kevin's right about the chain of course, but suspension 'Not too much to worry about' !!

And then there's the prices...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Result!! For sale; 1995 M5 - Book price £7600.

Somewhere in Little Britain....

"Sorry Mr Seller mate, is that a leak near the suspension?"

"Oh, but that isn`t too much is it? It just says 'can be pricey'..."

"£550 x 2 rear, £650 x 2 front, whack on some fitting and vat, to you son, £3000.

"Oh, well, we`ll sort out a price then"

"Oh Dear."

"oh dear?"

"Oh Deary deary deary dear dear. Dear"

"What?"

"80k? That`s near 100k"

"Sooooo???"

"New timing chain. Mandatory. Says here see, look. Black and White printed that is on a Gutenburg press probably. They print Bibles on that y'know!"

"Is that expensive?"

"Nah! Just whip the engine out, replace the chains, guides, sprockets, tensioner assembly... take a ganders at the valve train, you know, as you`re in there like..... rebuild the oil pump, chain drives it too see... tell u what, call it £2500 or thereabouts and I`m cutting me own throat."

"Fair enough, you seem to know your cars. So, £7600 minus £3000, minus £2500 is £2100. I thought it would be worth more, you see, as I`ve got to pay for Grandpa to go to the States for an oper..."

"2K cash. There. Wads. Take it or leave it, I`ll not offer again. Shake?"

"Oh, ok."

Tada. How to get an LE for 2 large. Use the power of the written word. LOL. ;)

Ivan.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine has almost reached 99k miles and is due an Inspection I service.

Do you think I should take the article along and ask the dealer to carry out the "necessary" timing overhaul work in the quoted service cost?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good idea Kevin - IIRC you have a BMW warranty which will no doubt cover the cost. You might as well get the starter motor done whilst it's in too......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts