BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
They certainly seem to like the car. It's interesting how people who've driven it perceive it differently - on the one hand some, including Autocar, who've had a chance to wring it out properly, feel that the power dominates the experience, while my drive in town revealed that it's actually also the most refined and easy of the E60s to potter around in.

On a separate note, all the articles say there's no supercharger whine, but at around 2000-3000rpm on a light throttle, you can definitely hear it spooling up - it's not unpleasant or obtrusive, though.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I was kinda disappointed by the review in Autocar - I thought the point about LSD was kinda negative - but you guys read it differently so maybe I need to re-read....

I agree I drove the B5 on lots of back country roads and the ride was excellent the power is huge - didn't push it too hard.... so can't comment on a really commited drive but I did see 3 figures a number of times and didn't feel put off at all - the steering is so much better than the B10 and E39 M5 - I felt far more in control....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
fastsaloons said:
I was kinda disappointed by the review in Autocar - I thought the point about LSD was kinda negative - but you guys read it differently so maybe I need to re-read....

I agree I drove the B5 on lots of back country roads and the ride was excellent the power is huge - didn't push it too hard.... so can't comment on a really commited drive but I did see 3 figures a number of times and didn't feel put off at all - the steering is so much better than the B10 and E39 M5 - I felt far more in control....
I noticed that the steering is MUCH lighter than in my E60 530i, which I thought a little odd but not unpleasant - it didn't feel disconnected like my E31 normally does.

Does the E60 V8 have rack and pinion or recirculating ball, anyone know?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Rack n' pinion in the E60

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
fastsaloons said:
OK - the review is now on the ALPINA site...

Autocar - B5 review
Am I the only person who's irritated that they never bother to go through and proof read the PDF once they've run it through their scanner and OCR program? Hence B10 becomes BIO and B5 becomes BS!!! hmmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts