BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Full marks to the Merc for the CLS' casual, cool, undemonstrative style. It makes the M5 seem like a born over-achiever, desperate to hide its blinding light under a bogus bushel. In most circumsatnces the CLS driver has nothing to fear. And if I'd just bought an M5, I'd want my ugly but oh-so purposeful super-saloon to bury a car that looks too **** sexy by half"

CLS cabin more exclusive, simpler. CLS is "incomparably better looking" - no accounting for taste I guess!

M5 stll Autocar's choice though!

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Re: Autocar M% vs CLS55 AMG

Its so interesting that there are so many that like the CLS design. I think its one of the ugliest cars ever created, far uglier than any of the new BMWs. Its interesting on the speed- and that's presumably with the AMG not having an LSD nor the benefit of a manual tranny.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

I don't get it either. While I love the lines of the SL, I have absolutely no affection for the CLS.

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts

I like the CLS's shape too (btw, saw it yesterday on the road). It looks very muscular. I've always liked courageous styling (especially bmw's), because that's the thing that brings changes in car design generally, that in my opinion are necessary. But that's not the point here. The point is that M5 is more of a driver's car and that's what matters most to me!! :wroom: :cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The CLS is a really beautiful car IMO. Sounds like they've tightened up the handling from the E55 as well.

One thing I can't believe is they only seat 4. I would have to tell my wife's parents (from Germany) that we all can't go out to dinner (with my son) in my $100,000 sedan because we can't fit! I would never hear the end of it from my father in law. Thank god we'll all be able to fit in my M5!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolverine said:
The CLS is a really beautiful car IMO. Sounds like they've tightened up the handling from the E55 as well.

One thing I can't believe is they only seat 4. I would have to tell my wife's parents (from Germany) that we all can't go out to dinner (with my son) in my $100,000 sedan because we can't fit! I would never hear the end of it from my father in law. Thank god we'll all be able to fit in my M5!
Only if you get the fold-down seats! I think the "normal" E60 M5 seats make a centre passenger in the back a bit uncomfortable!

·
Registered
369 Posts
thanks for the posting.

wow, 0-150mph in 21sec; a carrera s needs 27.7s :byebye:

for comparison: the m5 needs for 0-125mph 13.5s , the carrera s 16s. that means the m5 is between 125 and 150 4.2s faster. that is pretty much for this small speed gap

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
what an ugly interior... look at the funky buttons on the steering wheel. Looks like they have been spending too much time in the Neon parts bin.

And talk about making excuses for MB... the whole thing about the M5 driver having to go through sub menus, etc while the MB is pulling away. M-Drive button baby! Add in that the maximum attack buttons are all on the steering wheel or dash...

More of more of these seem to be less about the abilities of the car and more about bitching about I-Drive... we GET IT ALREADY!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You're right. People do make up a lot of crap as rationale for not liking iDrive. While iDrive certainly has lots of room for improvement, it's galling to read this uneducated stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
816 Posts
A compariosn like that will end up being subjective. As the other thread showed (the German video comparison of the two), the conclusion was not really surprising: CLS for luxury sports, M5 for drivers, CLS = E in a new cut suit with $S-class, buy into wacky "4 door coupe concept".

Fun reading though.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I was very surprised to see the CLS55 AMG be faster than the M5 in higher speeds? I guess alot of that have to do with the 700 Nm of torque... I think the E55 AMG is actually better looking, more discddreet than the CLS "whale".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Thanks for posting Gus - I shall go out and buy a copy today.

The CLS is truly hideous, here's one we saw in Geneva:

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=y1wrui&outx=600&oq=0
Funny, most people think the E60 M5 is ugly and everyone I hear from (Mostly off BMW forums) think the CLS55 is gorgeous. Ironic isn't it?

I think the CLS55 looks brilliant, a very smart and sleek design. Gorgeous.
It's only fair the BMW M5 win because of the manual transmission and more preppy handling. It is more of a 'sports car' than the CLS.

But when it comes to looks, the M5 doesn't even compare.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :cheers:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Gustav said:
I was very surprised to see the CLS55 AMG be faster than the M5 in higher speeds? I guess alot of that have to do with the 700 Nm of torque... I think the E55 AMG is actually better looking, more discddreet than the CLS "whale".
From the tone of the article it sounds like didn't bother shifting the M5 into the right gear. :confused3 I am still waiting for an objective performance test and less of the subjective crap. They don't even have accleration numbers for the CLS...

·
Banned
55 Posts
I agree wth Enigma. The fastest trap speed I've seen for the E55 AMG, which has the same engine as the CLS 55 and weighs almost exactly the same, is 116 mph. The M5 trapped 119. That's *significantly* faster.

I still give the edge to the M5 in overall acceleration.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts