BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Autocar 44 (2 November 2004) has a full road test in this weeks issue. Haven't read it fully yet but I did plug in their test results into my site so you could see them:

E60 M5 Performance Stats

and a comparison of the E39, E60 and latest Mercedes E55 AMG:
E39 M5 vs. E60 M5 vs. E55 AMG

Meant to mention the test result it got 5/5 and the quote 'Best Sports Saloons there is'.

Neil

·
Registered
205 Posts
fastsaloons said:
Autocar 44 (2 November 2004) has a full road test in this weeks issue. Haven't read it fully yet but I did plug in their test results into my site so you could see them:

E60 M5 Performance Stats

Meant to mention the test result it got 5/5 and the quote 'Best Sports Saloons there is'.

Neil
Is the E39 still that fast...

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autocar did seem to ring that extra ounce of performance out of it !

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just got the mag and the times are not launch control times.

On the "cold track" they tried the launch control but there was too much slip, guess wheel spin, and the beat LC time they got to 60mph was 5.1 seconds.

This test was carried out using left foot braking for launch and I don't know if it's the best result or an adverage.

IMO this shows the true performance of the car as the changes will be man made and not computer perfect. He also said about the limiter being 8500, as we have heard about these test cars before. I guess the 8250 is when the limiter comes in but under full throttle by the time it's activated, no one has said how harsh the rev limiter is only the speed limiter, the car is reving at about 8500.

I don't have access to a scanner at the mo but if no one else can scan I will tonight.

Sacha...

One other thing the prices are out, adaptive headlights are standard on UK, the Logic 7 was only about £500 and Bluetooth prep is just over £400.

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
9852147 said:
15s for 0-200kmh is not that fast but
21s for 0-240kmh is nice
Yes, I agree. It seems to be very fast at high speeds. If I remember it correctly Autocar tested the CL65 AMG at 19,7 seconds to 150 mph so it´s not that far behind :hihi:

·
Registered
675 Posts
please remember Autocar do all road tests 2 up with a full tank of petrol,so they will always produce inferior figures to the likes of Road and tract etc.

I've glanced at the review,but am saving it for a good read tonight,but looks like a fantastic review.The only negative was comments about brake fade which ive read in a few places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that the weight listed for the E60 M5 and E55 should be reversed?

David

fastsaloons said:

E60 M5 Performance Stats

Neil

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
9852147 said:
can anybody scan the article please?
Here it is. Please note that this is for the benefit of those who cannot buy the magazine as they live outside the UK; members who live in the UK please go out and buy a copy:

...and the verdict:

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I read that today. It mentions brake fade after hard use. Also it takes the speedo 9.1s to reach 100mph. But with proper timing gear, it took 9.8s.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
asturias said:
Is there any way we could get a bit bigger scans since these are a bit too small to read

Thanks
Download it as a jpeg and then use any picture viewer to zoom in.

Its funny really, some complain it is too small, others that it is too large... when the solution is there, it just takes an extra step.

·
Registered
49 Posts
bernhtp said:
It's very fuzzy and quite difficult to read even when greatly expanded in size.

Tom
I agree. I challenge those who think that it is readable to type the entire thing from the above jpegs.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
4.7 is pretty slow for a car that does 13 second 0-120 times. Once you get rolling, I'll bet the E60 will hang with low 4 second 0-60 cars. I think the SMG launch is still not as good as a professional driver can do with a manual.

I looked at the 60mph - 100mph time for a couple reasons. First, you don't have the launch technique that can give you .5 sec variation between testers. Second, I have Road and Track test results that show 0-60, and 0-100 times for comparison. If you think about it, other than shifting properly, there should not be much variation in times (OK, temperature and altitude and barometric pressure as well). Anyways, here are some comparisons:

E60 M5 5.2 sec

60mph - 100mph times reported in Road and Track:

Corvette 5.2 sec
Viper SRT-10 4.8 sec
Maserati Coupe 6.4 sec
E55 5.2 sec
911 GT2 5.3 sec
911 GT3 5.3 sec
911 Turbo 5.2 sec
Dang that's fast.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts