BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weeks Autocar 51 (21/28 December 2004) - with the new Mini on the front has their first drive of the ALPINA B5 on page 22 - 23.

A few quick quotes:

<i>B5 makes a credible super-saloon, combining the best bits of BMW M5 and Mercedes E55 AMG. Buying individualityno longer means sacrificing product.</i>

<i>ALPINA's quick 5-series, the B5, eshews the M5's V10 ands SMG gearbox for a V8 and an auto. It's Phenomenal</i>

<i>Given the choice, I'd rather have the B5.It's more comfortable, its power is more accessible, and the 5-series has never looked better than when adorned with ALPINA's retro cool graphics.</i>

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Thanks for the heads up neil, will be an interesting read!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
476 Posts
I noticed they mention in the article something like: "the B5 has been tailored for the US market, where most of the AMG & M are sold".
If this is true, it means the B5 would be exported to the US.
Good news for our overseas friends . This was expected for long!
Now how Alpina will cope with such a demand ??

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
The article is well written, but spectacularly wrong in some aspects.

Stating Alpina have struggled against AMG Mercedes in the last number of years is untrue...the E39 B10 was the best selling Alpina ever.

Although there are rumours that Alpina will being returning to the US market after 20 years absence - its unlikely to happen due to the high costs associated with it. Alpina have continuously stated they want to remain low-volume with a maximum production of 500 cars per year, which makes big investments for one single market unlikely. The new target market for Alpina is not the US but the Middle East, especially Dubai.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Wish me luck!

Asked Sytner if I could change my 535d order into one for a B5 - real pain in the butt as the 535d is an Individual car - they have a separate ordering system and it's tough to stop an order once it's started. Still, they're giving it a go and seem hopeful.

If all goes well, I should apparently be getting the very first UK B5 Touring, sometime around Oct 2005 - saloons can be ordered for Sep delivery (why would anyone wait until 2007 for an M5???)

Will let you know if all goes to plan - a very suitable replacement for Lucie!

P.S. if a B7 (9.5s) is faster to 100mph than an M5 (9.8s), how fast does that make the B5 - 200kg lighter than a B7 and with a smaller frontal area...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts