BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You need this in your life!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/driftschools

I went recently and it was absoutely fantastic. I don't care how much you know about the joyous art of punting a car sideways there's always more to learn. I was lucky enough to start driving on a friend's farm aged 10 in a scrapheap vw beetle, so being on opposite lock is pretty much second nature. Even so there was loads of stuff I picked up from the day, especially how to initiate slides without building any understeer.

£199 for a full day drifting about in someone else's caterham, no tyre bills, fuel, no worries about catching a curb and vaulting your car into someone's pond. Highly, highly recommended :happybirt

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That sounds like a total riot! Too bad I am across the pond though. There is a drifting school near me, but it is in the ugly Pontiac GTO...
I taught myself how to drift when I was 16, and the skills, although arent as sharp, are still there. I would love to spend a day cleaning the rust off my ability. Last time I got to do that was at a driving event in an E46 on a wet skidpad. The event was geared for teenagers (which I am not anymore), and I was the only one all day to keep the E46 under control when the ebrake was pulled at 60 in a turn.
That's it, my bud is out of town, I have the keys to his 350Z...time to head out. :haha:
:cheers:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Tubbs said:
You need this in your life!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/driftschools

I went recently and it was absoutely fantastic. I don't care how much you know about the joyous art of punting a car sideways there's always more to learn. I was lucky enough to start driving on a friend's farm aged 10 in a scrapheap vw beetle, so being on opposite lock is pretty much second nature. Even so there was loads of stuff I picked up from the day, especially how to initiate slides without building any understeer.

£199 for a full day drifting about in someone else's caterham, no tyre bills, fuel, no worries about catching a curb and vaulting your car into someone's pond. Highly, highly recommended :happybirt
I've heard good things about the Autocar Drift School.

So I've taken the plunge and booked Bank Holiday Monday 29th August @ Silverstone.

I'm also going to the Club Autocar / Palmersport Vauxhall Day on Friday 5th August - Bedford Autodrome. You get a few laps in a Monaro 6.0 VXR (The one with the corvette engine in it), and the balance of 3 hours open track time in your own car.

See here for more details on this one :- http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/resources/autocar/event-details.asp?ProductID=827

Anybody Else coming :haha: ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Each to his own I guess, but "drifting" does nothing for me........

I like my sideways action to be purely as a result of going as quickly as possible.

Chucking it sideways for the sake of it is OK for a while, but it's not much of a challenge is it............

(Write it, sit back and wait for the flames!!!! ;) )

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The world would be such a dull place if we all liked the same things!

For me there's nothing quite like a series of corners taken as one continuous drift, keeping the car balanced on the throttle and transitioning from lock to lock as the road flicks left to right..mmmmmmmm...pure motoring nirvana. Totally pointless beyond the fact that it feels oh so good :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Tubbs said:
The world would be such a dull place if we all liked the same things!
QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more mate - just not my cup of tea.

From one corner to the next in one continuous slide - now that sounds like rallying - which very much IS my cup of tea!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts