BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THUMBS UP TO THE BOARD MEMBERS WHO CAME OUT
It was very nice to see fellow board members jhowton and davem3smg at the NASA Autobahn event this past weekend. Jhowton was there for all three days!!!!!!! And he moving way up in the driving groups—Way to go Jamie!!! And it was very good to see davemssmg out there on Sunday—the only day I was there too. I’m hoping the track bug bit him real hard and we see him back driving at an event real soon!!

Now what did you guys think about the track, the club, the whole deal??? I really would like to hear what you thought and any tips for future participants.

MY HELL RAISING PORTION OF THE STORY
Now of course I had to raise some hell out there, so here’s my story so you can laugh at me!!! Well I showed up the last day of the event—weather was real hot and occasionally stormy and folks were very tired by this point. So after a down poor in the early PM, many, many people headed for home. Now because there were 3 of us who had registered for just the last day, they decided to run another season—only the 3 of us went out on track!!!

I was last and I gradually passed the guy between myself and the first driver, who happened to be hubby in his heat soak rated, newly chipped 450hp ’03 Cobra Stang. Now I could see the flash of silver of his car on the track about the same place ever lap so I figured I was doing okay, but wanted to do better, of course. So I began really working my little old M Coupe. Pretty soon I didn’t see him in the same place—“Oh man, had I blow a lap???” So now I’m really working it to catch up—nobody else was anywhere on the track, as best as I could tell. The session time seemed to be up, but I’m like “GD, this maybe the only track time I get today and there’s no way I’m going to quite besides” HA HA. So I keep going!!! Finally I see the checkered and begin cool down. This is when I get “flagged.” A corner worker takes out like 5 or 6 flags and starts waving them at me all at once. What a hoot—I hope that’s not a sign that I did something naughty!!! Was it?? And yeah, I was the only one left on the track!!

All I can say it that I hope I passed the audition?!?!?!

See everyone out there!! And thanks for listening!

Anita

:1:

·
Registered
298 Posts
[OT] - Re: Autobahn/NASA Event Folks—What Did You Think???

As Anita said, I did all three days. I started in HPDE1 and was promoted to HPDE3 by the beginning of day 3. My instructor wanted me to run with HPDE4 but at this point I am not so sure I want to run with open passing. I posted some pictures as usual here.

The weekend was fantastic, 6 - 20 or 25 minute sessions on Friday, 5 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday but I skipped the last session on Sunday
because I was beat and there was another storm coming in. There were two
races, all race groups including GTS, American Iron, Spec Miata and a ton
of others. Time trials runs with HPDE4 with open passing; point bys are
encouraged in HPDE4/TT but not required, they are required by HPDE1, 2 and

All of the instructors are people who instruct with Midwest Council and
were available for ride alongs (they are required for HPDE1) and you do
have to be promoted through the ranks. Pricing was $435 for 3
days and included a pig roast on Saturday night with free beer (for those
who care).

I am definately doing more DEs with these guys, they are friendly, helpful
people with a very good attitude about pretty much everything. Only 2 off
track excursions resulting in damage in HPDE and TT and no metal to metal
contact all weekend including the race sessions.

The Autobahn CC North circuit is fantastic. It's sort of a combination of
Blackhawk and Gingerman in feel and was designed by the same guy who
designed Gingerman. 1.46 miles, 9 turns and lots of runnoff pretty much
everywhere.

What a fun weekend, I just signed up for another NASA event at Autobahn on July 9th and 10th on the South circuit this time.

Shiny side up!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I almost forgot, there was a Z8 lapping at a leisurely pace on the South track on Saturday, are you on the board?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Stickman said:
Hello Anita,
Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. It sounds like you had a great time!!:noSMG:
Best Wishes,
Alfred
Alfred,
Thank you! I always hope when posting something like this I'm not boring everyone to tears. But I swear, sometimes when I tell folks what happens at a track event, they've never heard anything like it (or maybe I'm just good at telling fish tales :haha: )
Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jamie,
Thanks so much for the review and the pictures--it's great to have someone take the time to document what's going on! History and all that. Or maybe a way for us folks with 3 second memories to actually look back and remember what went on.

I thought the track was as smooth as silk, probably because it was new (?). Only one small seam where a piece of track had been cut and replaced. I thought there were enough marks and markers around and on the track to help with turn in points, etc. And I thought the course was easy on my equipment--many places to lift instead of brake. More of a technical track then a power track(?). Can't wait for your feedback on the south track!!!

jhowton said:
I almost forgot, there was a Z8 lapping at a leisurely pace on the South track on Saturday, are you on the board?
Did anyone ID themselves as the Z8 driver?

JAMIE,
OH!!! BTW, did you lose a something off your truck on the way to the track Sunday am--when I was behind you I thought I saw something blow off--SORRY SORRY--I forgot to tell you until now--HOPE IT WASN'T YOUR WALLET OR SOMETHING :eek: I can tell you about what exit it happened at though--some help now I know. ouich ouich
Anita

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anita said:
Jamie,
JAMIE,
OH!!! BTW, did you lose a something off your truck on the way to the track Sunday am--when I was behind you I thought I saw something blow off--SORRY SORRY--I forgot to tell you until now--HOPE IT WASN'T YOUR WALLET OR SOMETHING :eek:
It wasn't my wallet, my kids would have noticed that by now. Although now you mention it I did have a rattley heat shield on the exhaust, maybe that finally let go. I think Ford buids in extra parts to their vehicles, they know that pieces are going to start falling off after a while so they just give you extra bits to begin with. Ask Dan if he's noticed that on his Cobrahiha .

No ID on the Z8.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies to stickman (Alfred) for sandwiching you in the middle of this thread, but..

Jamie, did you happend see anything about what happened to Fred, the person with the Cobra at Autobahn/NASA event--I don't know if you ever got to meet him or not. VERY FORTUNATELY, HE'S OKAY!! But the incident brings up some issues--like just how well trained are the corner workers at various tracks, how much can you really mod out a street car, and the issue of taking "accident pictures" at NASA events and posting them--I just got my NASA rule disc in the mail and haven't reviewed it. What do you or anyone else out here reading this think/know? I know I'm making you all think this morning :D Here are the related threads

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=23764&highlight=beaverun
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193074

Anita

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anita said:
Jamie, did you happend see anything about what happened to Fred, the person with the Cobra at Autobahn/NASA event--I don't know if you ever got to meet him or not. VERY FORTUNATELY, HE'S OKAY!!
I didn't meet him, but I am pleased that he wasn't hurt. Sometimes it takes an accident like this to make people realise that in any track event you are taking your life into your hands and you may not walk away from an accident.

Anita said:
But the incident brings up some issues--like just how well trained are the corner workers at various tracks
It probably varies from track to track. Road America has fantastic corner workers and safety crews, brand new tracks like Autobahn are obviously not as good, and I always wonder about places like BHF, those guys seem like they are asleep most of the time.

Anita said:
how much can you really mod out a street car,
I am not sure where you are going with this one, the car in question was a racecar, not really a street car any more.

Anita said:
and the issue of taking "accident pictures" at NASA events and posting them
It's the first time I have heard anything about this being an issue at all. As a photographer, anything that happens in public is fair game. Whether it's tasteful or ethical or even a nice thing to do depends upon your point of view. I was not aware that NASA or Lawrence had any sort of written or unwritten policy or rule prohibiting this. I certainly understand that NASA want to protect their interests as an organization and if this means that they want to limit media attention that may ocur as a result of accidents at their events I certainly understand their position. That position does nothing at all to change anyone else's right to take and publish photographs, however.

Anita said:
I just got my NASA rule disc in the mail and haven't reviewed it.
I don't know what this is. All of the rules are available on the nasaproracing website.

No more thinking than usual, it's what I do for a living (as well as yelling at people).

Regards

Jamie

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jhowton said:
I didn't meet him, but I am pleased that he wasn't hurt. Sometimes it takes an accident like this to make people realise that in any track event you are taking your life into your hands and you may not walk away from an accident.

It probably varies from track to track. Road America has fantastic corner workers and safety crews, brand new tracks like Autobahn are obviously not as good, and I always wonder about places like BHF, those guys seem like they are asleep most of the time.

I am not sure where you are going with this one, the car in question was a racecar, not really a street car any more.

It's the first time I have heard anything about this being an issue at all. As a photographer, anything that happens in public is fair game. Whether it's tasteful or ethical or even a nice thing to do depends upon your point of view. I was not aware that NASA or Lawrence had any sort of written or unwritten policy or rule prohibiting this. I certainly understand that NASA want to protect their interests as an organization and if this means that they want to limit media attention that may ocur as a result of accidents at their events I certainly understand their position. That position does nothing at all to change anyone else's right to take and publish photographs, however.

I don't know what this is. All of the rules are available on the nasaproracing website.

No more thinking than usual, it's what I do for a living (as well as yelling at people).

Regards

Jamie
Jamie,

First, my mistake re: the NASA rules disc. I thought it was a GCR like Midwestern Council just sent out, but it's labeled "Full Throttle TV" :7:-I should have looked more closely.

And no, I have never heard anything about any NASA rules about photos either. I once posted a pic on this site of a wrecked M Coupe at RA with Speedseekers. I had talked to the owner on and off all weekend and he had taken pics of my car, etc, but didn't get his "permission" to post the pic. It seems at any event there are always pictures being taken by someone.

And the deal as I understand it with Fred's Cobra, and this is very sketchy, is that it started out as a street car and was converted, however it seems a fuel line came loose and that it perhaps should have been upgraded (?). I guess what I'm trying to say is it even possible to fully convert a street car into a race car? Seems like every part would have to be reviewed and potentially upgraded? Does this make any sense to you?

Anita

1 - 10 of 10 Posts